Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Aftermarket EFI, my humble opinions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10sec.et

346566.92 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket EFI, my humble opinions Reply with quote

ive installed just about all of the popular systems. even a Hilborn stack setup. some i wouldnt use again. however, there are some decent ones out there. heres what i have experienced.....

FAST EZ EFI:
i dont like it. i always have to run through initial setup over and over, playing with injector sizing, to get it even remotely close. even then, it takes forever to learn. i would rather use a carb.

MSD Atomic EFI:
better but still has its issues. you need a fresh motor. anything not right and it freaks out. ive had connector issues with pins pushing out as you put them together. it still doesnt seem to have enough adjustment. im not crazy about the timing control either. i can never seem to get one to run REALLY good. always just "acceptable". i can still do better with a carb and good ignition box.

FAST XFI:
functions pretty well but can be a lot of work tuning. you certainly need to know how to tune if youre going to use this system. with a good tuner, this system is tough to beat.

Holley HP/Dominator EFI:
my personal favorite. similar to the FAST XFI only it has a "learning table". this is great because you can get it close, drive it until it learns the fuel table, then transfer that table over to the main VE table. takes a lot of time out of the tuning process.
*Edit* a lot of the data, during initial setup, has to be manually entered. this has been a struggle getting used to after being spoiled with EFI Live. i find myself going back and hunting for that parameter that i overlooked.

Factory EFI Systems:
well, they are what they are. very sophisticated. enough tables and adjustments to thoroughly screw something up. if this is what you have, dont mess up a good thing. find a good tuner and be happy.

i wrote this because i always have people asking me these questions. again, these are just my opinions based on what i have experienced personally. i hope this helps someone on the fence about how to fuel their engine.

Last edited by 10sec.et on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65064.64 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Megasquirt? Any experience with it?

I challenge you to push yourself.
10sec.et

346566.92 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have not. i actually forgot about that. i wouldn't mind getting my hands on one to check it out. here's another one that looks promising.... http://www.mastmotorsports.com/view.php?id=234&c=26&s=5
i didn't get to tune it but i did have my laptop hooked up and got to go through some of the tables. its pretty in-depth. reminded me of the GM computers. lots to adjust.

Paul P

81109.16 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few more that I would guess to be worth a try.

BigStuff3
Accel Smoke?
Edelbrock Smoke???? Ha Ha

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
There are a few more that I would guess to be worth a try.

Edelbrock Smoke???? Ha Ha

I heard someone in Mass has Edelbroke tatoo'd on his behind....
10sec.et

346566.92 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the main issues i run into on some systems is they can be ridiculously overly complicated to use. i know how to tune an engine but navigating the software can be a nightmare. unfortunately, the only way to know is to try it. considering how the hotrodding world is gravitating to LS builds, i would want one that supports drive by wire, sequential injection, a MAF, and the ability to control a 4L60 or 4L80. if Ford is your thing, you probably want to be able to tune cam timing and such on the mod motors. transmission control as well.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate your input on the different systems. You were going to be my go to guy for information on them but I haven't anybody show me the money to actually do a conversion. Several talkers but that's as far as it ever went. Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65064.64 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul... I haven't used edelbrock EFI. The system I have is the Accel made in the early 90s, it runs on DOS! YUCK.

I use HP Tuners for my 02 Camaro. I'd recommend it for anyone with a factory LS.

I challenge you to push yourself.
10sec.et

346566.92 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP Tuners and EFI Live are what most are using for the factory stuff. both are great. i use EFI Live.

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
HP Tuners and EFI Live are what most are using for the factory stuff. both are great. i use EFI Live.

I wish I new someone here that had a EFI live. I would gladly pay the $100 vin to eradicate the EGR on the 03 Duramax. BUUUUT then I couldn't run the stage 2 Hyper that gets 3 more miles to the gallon and way more HP and Torque...... smoking
10sec.et

346566.92 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of tuning software..... i bought LT1 Edit from these guys http://www.carputing.com/
its pretty straight forward and simple enough to use. their customer support is great. that being said, they aren't going to teach you how to tune if you don't already know how. you will need some basic tuning knowledge. i would highly recommend them if you're tuning late model stuff.

10sec.et

346566.92 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, if you can find someone with EFI Live, you wont need that Stage 2 Hyper Wink

Paul P

81109.16 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
Paul... I haven't used edelbrock EFI. The system I have is the Accel made in the early 90s, it runs on DOS! YUCK.

I use HP Tuners for my 02 Camaro. I'd recommend it for anyone with a factory LS.
Not saying you used Edelbrock EFI but I know your opinion of Edelbrock so I thought I would put it there.
Poke

I forgot to mention SCT the old Superchips Tuners. Mainly does American ECMs. I have one for my Focus. The software is $425 and I haven't bothered to purchase it just because it really wasn't affordable and required training.

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
phydeaux

3114.12 points

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to get into factory EFI tuning one day. Naturally I want to start with a PCM that has ZERO effing support (Siemens Simtec 5.g). I have the pinouts for the thing and the diagrams for the twin Infineon chips, but it looks like I will have to barebones reverse engineer the software from scratch. Lord knows I have plenty of time on my hands. :roll:
10sec.et

346566.92 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phydeaux wrote:
I would like to get into factory EFI tuning one day. Naturally I want to start with a PCM that has ZERO effing support (Siemens Simtec 5.g). I have the pinouts for the thing and the diagrams for the twin Infineon chips, but it looks like I will have to barebones reverse engineer the software from scratch. Lord knows I have plenty of time on my hands. Rolling Eyes

i dunno, tuning is hard enough on a factory system without handicapping yourself with something like that. its not impossible but i don't see how the ends justify the means. at best, you will spend countless hours working on an oddball efi setup only to have mediocre performance. sure its different but wheres the fun in spending more time working on something, with lackluster performance, than you do actually driving it. its a car. by nature, you're supposed to be driving it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: