Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

um....yeah.....you guys think TRUE 500 hp sbc are rare??????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep_406 wrote:
I run a Precision Industries lockup converter in my Nova using a 700R4. I lock it up at 5800rpm in 3rd gear and go through the eyes around 6300rpm. If I lock it up at the beginning of 3rd gear it slows down. Shifting at 5800 gives me about 2 more mph.

what have you done to that 700r4 hard parts wise???

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You homo.

I like the big strong guys too - preferably weight lifters Laughing Laughing . Something that turns my stomach is this year on our insurance at work they now cover "domestic partners" Mad . Signs of the times in our country I guess. Anyway - enough of that - one case I have heard of where a lockup converter is beneficial is the Buick Grand Nationals. Seems like they liked the increased load on the engine - more load - more fuel - more exhaust heat, all things a turbo engine loves. Clay

jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeeezer,
I don't really know just what updates were done to my 700R4.
It was first done in the early 90's. I had a transmission guy do all my work for 30 plus years and unfortunately he is no longer available. Feel like I lost my right arm Shocked
I have it set up so that I can manually lock up the converter in 3rd or 4th gear. I also have to unlock it manually or the car will stall when I come to a stop.
The last time the tranny was done over was about 3-4 years ago. I had hurt one of the planetary gears. Since then it's worked great. I get a little clutch dust in the pan.
I went through it about a year ago using a book I bought through Dana @ Pro built transmissions in California. I also have a GM video.
Didn't find any problems but I don't know the difference between stock parts and aftermarket. I know my guy used some Trans Go parts but I can't identify them.
I'm concerned as to how much more power my 700R4 can take in it's present makeup.
If I have problems I'm leaning towards having Dana at Pro Built do one up. I'm very impressed with him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: