Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

3.4L intake??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never even got low enough to empty the surge tank before I smelled it so I should be fine on head gaskets and all. Still raining here so I have not really found the source of the leak but I did thoroughly clean the engine yesterday in the rain. Had never been hosed out underhood so it was full of sand and crap.

I already bought the thermostat too. Spent $180 on parts and fluids already and I havent unclipped a wire yet.
I figure this is common enough and reliability is important enough too me that even if it is just the thermostat housing or something I am going ahead with the whole project.

The guy at Advanced was straight forward with me, he does some repair work in his own personal small garage, made sure I got the right kit said things like the oil o-ring are in there. I got a serpentine belt and such too. Like I said 130K and the car has needed nothing but brakes and one set of tires fluids and filters. The coolant might actually be original fill, I told her to ask about getting it flushed but I never followed up on whether she did have it done.

One annoying thing it JUST started doing is a leak that drips on the passenger floor mat in the rain, anyone know where to look for that source?? Actually drips off the underdash light.
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the leak will be 1 of 2 things

1.windshield seal problem
2.cowl seal problem

there is a tsb on the cowl problem....ill try to find it Wink
you wana get it fixed before other things get wet like the body control module and blower resister

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeeezer, just remembered you are in state. To bad it is still a 4+ hour drive otherwise I would have to figure out a way to lure you here. Sounds like you could be a substantial help with this.
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you really get 65,000 miles out of each set of tires?
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how it is possible but the ORIGINAL tires were changed at 119K. Shocked

We bought the car new and the only way this is not the case is if she had them replaced with original Uniroyals behind my back or if they mixed them with someone else's when rotating. I wouldn't believe it if the car had not had my name on the title since new either so I wont blame you guys if you doubt me. I tried to talk her into changing them a year earlier but she swore they were fine.

Maybe all the snow and ice in the long frozen tundra winters is easy on tires??? Not as much friction as that crappy asphalt and cement most of you drive on. Very Happy

The new Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads are noisier and a little rough on fuel by comparison but MUCH better on winter and wet roads.

Like I said, this car has been great to us. The odometer is good too, since we bought it in september 03 her daily commute has been 27-37 miles each way over those years, do the math on that and a little over 130K is in the ballpark for what you would expect.

I think calling it an Impala was a sin, but it is still a great little car for the wife should have just been called a Lumina.
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not questioning, just amazed. I want those tires for my wifes tire eating suburban.
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
Not questioning, just amazed. I want those tires for my wifes tire eating suburban.

maybe your wife drives like mine does........... WFO. mine actually complained once that "everytime i take off, the tires squeal" Rolling Eyes Head Bang . i was thinking about putting a supercharger on her Tacoma but i couldnt afford the tires Mad .

Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought they called it a Monte Carlo if it had two doors and an Impala if it had four dours.

Big Dave
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dave the Monte was mechanically anyway a 2 door Impala. My point was that the Impala name never should have been used on a FWD V6.
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife and I actually drive pretty mellow, I have just never been able to get them to last more than 35,000 miles.
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
my wife and I actually drive pretty mellow, I have just never been able to get them to last more than 35,000 miles.

not trying to offend but, you DO look at the treadwear number when you buy tires ???? for me, anything less than 200 treadwear wont last more than about a year. i got four years out of a set of Riken Raptors, with a treadwear somewhere around 350-400, on my Impala. my wife only got 35K out of the tires that were on the Toy when we bought it. the Michelins average about 65-70K. i dont remember whar the treadwear is but i think its in the 450-500 range.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Michelins average about 65-70K.

Glad to hear that. I wasn't going to bring up Michelin's lasting longer because I didn't want to sound like a salesman. On my wifes Pontiac, switching to Michelin's from BFG Touring T/A's it gained 1 more mpg. I've used BFG's and Uniroyal's as Michelin ownes them both and we do get a little bit of a discount. I have had good luck with most tires on our daily drivers, getting around 50 - 60K out of them. The one's on the rear of the Nova however......... Twisted Evil Clay

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look to toyo they have tires that last more than a michelin!!

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had good luck with the michelins, but for my frontier I have gone to the Nitto Dura-Grapplers. Ive always been a nitto fan but the terra grapplers were too much of a mud tire for me- these are more street oriented. ~17k on them and no discernable wear yet really... and they have NO road noise Very Happy
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about 60,000 on a set of Summit tires that are on my trailblazer. There is still about half the tread left. The tread is about as hard as a preacher's pecker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: