Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

3.4L intake??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: 3.4L intake?? Reply with quote

The wife's 2003 Impala has been very good to us but finally at over 130K miles this common issue is creaping in on it.
Not catastrophic yet, could smell coolant and found a small puddle on top of the engine. Nothing in the oil.

Still on the original serpentine belt, waterpump and all, only thing underhood changed is fluids and sparkplugs so I will look at changing some of that.

Figured that a few of you have probably done this already and could offer some tips so let me know what you can offer.

Any particular tools I should make sure I have?
Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the leak first. They have a plastic vacuum operated water valve on top of the engine that cracks and leaks from engine vibration, but it could be a lot of other things.

Big Dave
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one that was leaking at the T-stat housing. Just a suggestion.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will dig a little further before teardown but this is SO common on this engine I would not feel bad about changing the gasket preventatively. Have a life changing event in the works that causes me to want to make sure her car is dead reliable.

Tomorrow I can get a hand from some guys more familiar with this engine.

I know my car inside and out, but this one all I have done on is brakes and plugs, I don't even change the oil.
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my least favorite intakes to do. make sure you get the steel core replacement gaskets and NOT the plastic ones. i dont know the part number but if you have problems finding them, let me know. the pushrods are different length on intake and exhaust. if you mix them up, it WILL bend the valves. while youre in there, pull the oil pump drive out and replace the o-ring so you dont have to do it later. its most likely already leaking oil anyway. other than the above, its just time consuming. book time is 6 hours. oh, i dont think the intake gasket set comes with the valve cover gaskets. you should ask when you pick them up.

10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
Have a life changing event in the works that causes me to want to make sure her car is dead reliable.

boy or girl ?

96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girl Very Happy in september

The car has been low on oil a few times but I see none dripping on anything under the car. If it is likely the oil problem is resolvable with the intake R&R that would be one more reason to do it. Just get all the common stuff resolved at once.

There any good "kit" part numbers that would include a lot of what I need? I know for my cars Felpro has a "conversion gasket kit" I buy whenever I need an oilpan gasket because it is a screaming deal with the rest of the stuff it comes with.

Going to rain all day tomorrow so not likely to be able to do much with it. Looks like she will be driving the wagon for a few days.
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear 10 sec You are amazing. Is there anything you havent dealt with? If this is the one I am thinking it is, I have done a few of them myself, and the intake gaskets commonly leak coolant. They are kind of a pain because you do have to remove the rockers and push rods to get the intake off. (kind of reminds me of a ford FE engine) I am surprised it made it this long. Most of them go at 60,000 or less. Nothing too complicated, just time consuming. BTW congrats on the new addition to the family. It will be a blessing, I have had 9 life changing events! LOL (and yes they are all with the same wife (first question everyone asks)) 5 girls and 4 boys
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, raining out so I wont be working on it today. I will hose out the underhood and hope it dries enough to get a better look.

I heard something about man handling the rockers to get the pushrods out without removing the rockers???? Any tips on that?

Knarley, lifelong commitment to one partner is pretty rare these days, doing good on that front myself, started dating when I was 19, will be 32 this summer. She has a few years, supposedly that is a common element in marriages that last.
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nada of the 3.4 intake but wanted to say congrats!!
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a while since I have done one but if memory serves me, it is actually the gaskets that cant be removed without removing the pushrods, and I dont think the rockers are adjustable so it is probably easier and faster to just remove them. I think I tried to modify the gasket or somthing stupid like that and it turned into a mess and took twice as long.
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Fel-Pro number for the steel intake gaskets on the 3.1L is 90084. as far as i know, the 3.4 uses the same gaskets. if you have a good parts guy, you can compare the two.

10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
Its been a while since I have done one but if memory serves me, it is actually the gaskets that cant be removed without removing the pushrods, and I dont think the rockers are adjustable so it is probably easier and faster to just remove them. I think I tried to modify the gasket or somthing stupid like that and it turned into a mess and took twice as long.

what he said Wink

oh, and congrats on the baby girl Cheers .
the shop owner where i work has three daughters and one son. when i told him my wife and i were expecting, he asked "you hoping for a boy or a girl ?" my response was " im actually wanting a girl". he smiled and said "good choice ! boys are a pain in the ass!!!!" Laughing

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!! I have to say that I wouldn't want anything other than my daughter - well probably at least until she starts wanting to date Mad . Clay
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the addition

replace the t-stat with the intake out
ive done so many of those intakes i could do one blindfolded.....really
also my favorite thing to do at work
i could do 3 of them in a day when i used to work 10 hour days

i always block test (blue solution) the motors first!!!!!!!
if those motors leak so much and they had been overheated the heads crack......im batting 1000 on that!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: