Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

350 vortec engine Swap 1986 oldsmobile cutlass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubb1234

137.38 points

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: 350 vortec engine Swap 1986 oldsmobile cutlass Reply with quote

I have a 1986 oldsmobile cutlass with a Chevy 305 engine in it. I am wondering what will i have to change or modify to fit a 350 vortec engine and 700r from a 1998 chevy silverado in my car and hook up the drive train??
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 86 have a carb? If it does, you don't have much to worry about except the intake manifold for the engine. The transmission is another story. You'll have to have some way to control the (probably) 4L60E trans.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Cutlass already have an overdrive in it? Regarless the easiest thing to do is hook what is there already to the Vortec. You'll really like the 350 Vortec. I did one for my cousin a few years back to replace a 305 in a 85 truck and other than a Performer intake and headers it was completely stock. It's a torquey setup. Clay
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt that 86 Cutlass has EFI. even if it did, the 98 vortech setup wouldnt match the wiring and ECM, for the TBI, that would be in place already. for that 98 to work youre going to need the PCM and complete wiring harness from the truck.

Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is the truck wiring harness is longer than the car harness so you should have no dificulty swaping in the motor and tranny and installing the truck wiring harness in place of your old Cutlass wiring harness.

The computer needs to be inside the car up under the dash (usually behind the glove box) so you will need a fair size hole in the firewall where the inner fender meets the firewall to keep any water out. Seal it up with a lot of RTV laying it on very slowly to allow it to cure before the next bead is laid down. RTV requires oxygen to work, so if you just dump the tube all at once it will take forever to set up.

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: