Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Tranny info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geistc

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Tranny info Reply with quote

I am looking into swapping a 4L80E tranny into my '85 Chevy Camaro. It currently has a 700R4 in it. I need to know what, if any modifications I will need to do in order to make it fit. I will be getting one with the computer to control it but I need to know what are the differences in the mount point locations. Any help would be great.[/code]
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done that transmission swap so I can't help you out. I'd start by checking with TCI and Art Carr and see what they have to say. If memory serves me right it's bigger than the 700R4 and Turbo400. You might be able to slide the crossmember back. You'll have to modify the driveshaft, cut it down. I've also heard their are two different yokes used on those, a slip type and a bolt type. Since you have the computer you'll probably need to use the map sensor a TPS sensor.

Why are you running the 4l80E? Are you making that much power that you're breaking tranmissions? You can build the 700's to handle some pretty good power.
chevyfreak

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Keep the 700!! Reply with quote

Just an opinion. But the headaches of the swap will not outweigh the benefits. Smokemup is right. These 700R-4s got a bad rap in the beginning of their existence. But many companies now are making some jam up kits for them. It will cost you to build it (expect about $800), but you will not be disappointed. Plus you will have a super low first gear and more converter options for the 700. I went with the raybestos blue plate race clutches and the JW performance converter. Just be sure to have it done by a reputable shop and put the largest external cooler you can find on it. They are cheap, and heat is what will kill any tranny. I can also recommend the B&M console mega shifter for your camero. It is made to fit and has the rachet action. I am loving mine and you can really slam the shifts!
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Tranny Info Reply with quote

The 700R4 can be built very stout. Drag racing guys have had a long time to figure them out. In the beginning there was a lot of breakage but that's changed. One friend has a turbocharged 305 Camaro that weighs about 3700 pounds with him in it. At one time it was the fastest 305 in the country. It runs under 10 seconds with a 700R4.
Guys are running them behind pretty decent 502's successfully.
If the gear spacing is a problem for you think of a 200R4. They can be built Quite strong and offer closer spacing between 1st and 2nd.
What do you use the car for. . . .street only. . . .street/strip. . . . strip only? Do you run slicks? I'd like to know why you think you need the 4L80E. Chevyfreak is right, I don't think there are many performance parts for that tranny. I also don't think it will fit in your tunnel. I wonder how much horsepower is lost over the 700R4 with this trans?
Lots of other guys looking in can probably help you better than I but I'll be glad to bench race with you.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One friend has a turbocharged 305 Camaro that weighs about 3700 pounds with him in it. At one time it was the fastest 305 in the country. It runs under 10 seconds with a 700R4.

Does that guy have 305TPI as his license plate? Didn't it use to be supercharged? If it's the same guy I've seen him at the track before. That car is impressive, looks pretty stock and screws.
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: 305 TPI Reply with quote

Yes that's the car. And the guy that owns it is good people. He spent a lot of time getting a 700R4 to stand up to the supercharged 305. He was featured years ago in Super Chevy. Actually the car he has now is an exact duplicate on the original. A few years ago he was run off the road coming back from running at Atco Dragway. What saved his life was the fact that he was strapped in the car with a 5 point racing harness. He did sustain damage to his left arm and hand when the car rolled over on it. The car was destroyed. I don't think he got in the 9s with the supercharged setup but he has run, I believe, 9.80s with the Turbo.
And the car would be even quicker if he took the huge sound system out of it.
Do you frequent New England Dragway?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to New England Dragway when I race but sad to say haven't been all this year or last year, no time. I've made a promise to myself to go up at least one time this year before they close.

I think when I saw the car last it was supercharged running 10.0, he was knocking on the 9 second door.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: