Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

auburn diff clutches???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
projekt70chevelle

5723.30 points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: auburn diff clutches??? Reply with quote

Well I bought this diff knowing that the clutches may or may not go out. Long story short the guy used the wrong fluid. Well after a year of some abuse the rear goes peg on me more than posi. So I ordered the service kit.

So is this gonna be a real PITA??? Are there any tricks I should know about??
Big Dave

120538.84 points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auburn uses cones instead of clutch discs. When the cones wear down you genrally have to toss them. I read a post on a Pontiac GTO board about turning down the side gears in a lathe and shimming it up to gain a new wear surface, but I have never tried it. I prefer an Eaton or a Detroit Locker gear drive.

Big Dave
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
I prefer an Eaton or a Detroit Locker gear drive.

Big Dave

seems to be the norm. a while back i sold my new Auburn gear for a Detroit locker and then sold that for a spool but thats another story. whats a "service kit" ? you may be better off picking up a used unit. then again, rebuilding might not be as bad as it seems. keep us posted. im curious how one would install a "service kit". sorry im not much help but if you have the parts to fix it..............

wagon train

7307.16 points

1983 Mercury Capri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a manual transmission do not use a locker it is a pain in the ass when you slow down and turn at the same time.

"BAKER"
10/5/50-11/7/06

"She doesn't seem to be breathing right,it might be the jets."-The Mechanic
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wagon train wrote:
If you have a manual transmission do not use a locker it is a pain in the ass when you slow down and turn at the same time.

u turns the worst
i dont think ill EVER use one again
beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a new diff is the solution, may I reccommend a TrueTrac by Detriot (Eaton). After much debate and research, I put one in mine and love it. Looks like this: http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/index.htm?ssSourceNodeId=5334&ssSourceSiteId=EatonCom
projekt70chevelle

5723.30 points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea a locker would have already been in the car if I didnt want to use the car for more than just straight line as wagon train knows Cool

My car is all wrong, the brakes are too big, wheels are too big, suspension is all wrong, its a stick but the driver is the biggest issue Laughing
projekt70chevelle

5723.30 points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The service kit that is on BACK ORDER sarcastic eye roll

Last edited by projekt70chevelle on Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
af2

71864.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will not fix the problem. You can look at any forum and see the cone/reverse cone is terrible going around corners.( you still have to exit the drag strip 180*?) Just someting to think adout. Very Happy
Snap/ Crackle/ POP! Shocked Very Happy Again you are better off running a spool if that stuff is going on!
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if thats all thats in the service kit then youre wasting your time. if i were you i think i would follow beersngars advise and get a True-Trac. i put a spool in mine but it can be a bit tricky driving on the street.

projekt70chevelle

5723.30 points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw a locker or spool, I'd consider it if I didnt like driving the car around corners, but if you guys really think I should get it start a fund for me... k thanks
cutlass389

8544.62 points

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: coneheads Reply with quote

As I'm often wrong take this with a grain of salt. I believe I read that the cone-clutch arrangement cannot be rebuilt. The fix is a return-replace program that Auburn operates. I've seen it stated in their ads. For turning corners the True-Trac is the hot ticket. Smooth all gear design means no clutches to wearout or grab and stronger overall.
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just stick with the stock posi and a little GM additive. If the clutches are worn out I usually dont try to rebuild them, I get a whole new posi carrier.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
u turns the worst

Actually they are pretty easy with a locker Smile. I have a Powertrax and I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver either - stick with a limited slip of your choice. I had a Auburn Pro-series for a while and it started acting up, but their return / replace program only applied to a certain age unit - mine was too old - not many miles though. It did the screwiest thing before I sold it though. It worked fine in the street, but at the track it wouldn't pick up both tires, always the passenger, never the driver. Tried several methods, hitting the throttle hard, easing into it, etc. - same result. However if you put the car in reverse and barely blipped the throttle - not hard at all - and then started the burnout, it would pick up both tires every time. I thought it was a fluke, but I probably did it 50 times at the track and it worked every time. I never could figure out how it could be loading the cones different with that little blip. It got aggravating, so I sold it. Clay
projekt70chevelle

5723.30 points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are right about the cones and they dont come in the service kit... So that order was canceled Laughing

The detroit true trac would be sweet, but its just not in the budget. The diff is 440 alone and than I have to pay to have it all setup unless I do it all myself and locate a bearing press and puller and make some dummy bearings. I'm gonna call auburn, but I'll still have to get everything setup again if I send the diff back...

Crying or Very sad

Last edited by projekt70chevelle on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: