Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

HOW? Lower Control Arm bushings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: HOW? Lower Control Arm bushings Reply with quote

Whats a good way to get to/ replace the bushings in my lower front control arms?

I'm thinking just unbolting the shock, sway bar, and putting the jack under the arm and jacking it up to unlbolt the bolts where bushings are.
Then, slowly lowering the arm with the jack, with the lower balljoint still bolted in, and just getting the inner part( close to engine, where bolts go through) of the arm down a bit enough to press the bushings out.

I can get em in and out with a c-clamp.

1971 chevelle

Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds not only dangerous, but a royal PIA to me. I would rather take a little extra time to get the control arm off and do it on a bench. Maybe others have done it that way, I don't know.
86GN

4042.20 points

1990 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having a '72 Z28 front spring pop out of a spring compressor and almost take half of my hand off, I've got A LOT more respect for springs. Do it the right way and be safe. Use a good spring compressor and be VERY careful of pushing or forcing the spring when it's compressed. If possible use a safety chain through the center of the spring and then around the frame to keep the spring from flying if it pops out of the compressor.
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have respect for springs, 86GN. I was putting an engine in a 68 Chevelle, had the hood off and the hood hinges folded down, was leaning over putting in header bolts, and that hinge/spring decided it was time to open- right on my face. It smacked me just under the eye, breaking some bones in there. Could have so easily lost an eye or even worse...I shudder when I think about it... Be safe.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lucky so far and haven't had a close call with springs. I do respect they energy they have in a compressed state.

RaG... listen to Hanz's advice. Take the extra time and be safe.

I challenge you to push yourself.
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Control Arm Bushings: Reply with quote

Hanz is right. Take it out and work on it in a vice. I'd be surprised if you can change the bushings with a c-clamp. Good luck.
I'd look at the rest of the suspension. The upper arm bushings, ball joints, idler arm etc. If the lower bushings are gone and the rest of the front end has the same miles it might be best to do it all, especially if you're planning on keeping the car.
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Control Arm Bushings: Reply with quote

jeep_406 wrote:
I'd be surprised if you can change the bushings with a c-clamp.

I was thinking that also, but kept my mouth (errr-keyboard) shut. But I agree, those big lowers are usually very tight. In fact the little uppers sometimes aint no fun either.

osmiumfoot

2387.84 points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep has a good point, as almost always the upper bushings go away first. If the lower ones need replacing, the uppers almost certainly do too if they have the same miles on them. Compressed spring stories are eye openers, or closers if you catch one in the wrong place. Close call, Hanz. I had a compressed front spring part company with the cheapo Schucks compressor I rented and take a 3/4 inch wrench out of my hand, bounce it off the garage floor hard enough to take a large by huge chip out of the concrete, and park the wrench on the other side of the garage. You could hear the wrench humming its death song as it navigated the garage. I was impressed.
Paul P

83052.36 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It 's Bushing time,
I'm going to change out my front uppers and lowers soon and will be taking them out completely. I've done the uppers in a vice a long time ago. I have a press to do them now. On the lowers if removing the shell as well as the rubber you need to support the flanges of the control arm while pressing in or out. This can be a make or break on the job, if you squish it you screwed. I'll post some pictures When I do it.
Good Luck
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip- Remove rust and deburr the controls arm bushing bores with a flap wheel on a die grinder before applying a light film of oil or grease and inserting the bushings. Inserting them dry with burrs or rust causes too much friction and can bend the arm before the bushing slides all the way in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: