Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

THM-350 Kick-down prob.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclemecz

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: THM-350 Kick-down prob. Reply with quote

i have a THM-350 (w/ a B&M street/strip shift-kit) out of a '71 Olds. Cutlass. i just rebuilt it because it was slippin' worse than a Powerglide. Everything works great except for the kick-down. If you mash the pedal the engine winds up to about 4500 rpm for about half a second then it downshifts and snaps yer neck off. (yes, I put the shift-kit back in when I rebuilt the tranny.) Did I put the check ball in the wrong place or something? I put about 800 mi. on the tranny before I started to beat on it. The THM-350 is in my wife's car ('85 Olds Cutlass Supreme 4-door) with a 3.8l V-6 under the hood. (stop laughin' guys). It Chirps the tires shifting into 2nd and 3rd when you get on it, And the manual downshift engages immedately at any speed. Its just the kick-down that sucks. What went wrong?

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: kick down!! Reply with quote

howdy!!
welcome to the board.
for starters, you have a v-8 tranny behind a v-6!! the governors for the two trannies are diff. and the supplied vac mod. is adjustible(part throttle shifts only) you can find tv cable adjustments all over the web so i wont go there. b and m make a governor "tuning" kit. perhaps this is what you need.
i like shifting my 73 nova at around 4500-5500 rpm(no kick-down avail)-manual shift. did you put in the b&m or the tci kit? i know the tci kit only requires the two rear balls in the vb.
hope this helps
P.S.!!!--change the tranny fluid after 1000 miles and use the b&m trick shift or the tci fluid as a replacement NOT dextron--at the least use type f.
these fluids provide better foam and heat buildup
Cyclemecz

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the in put HOT ROD.
I'm not sure who made the shift kit. It was the same one that was in there when I got the trans. I know that there was only one check ball in there when I pulled it apart. (I just don't remember where it was. the ball was under fluid pressure because of clogged passages. It popped when I removed the valve body) The ball was also made of nylon if that tells any one anything. I can tell you though that this trans. started giving me problems before and it turned out to be the govoner. There were almost no teeth left, it was totally trashed. But that was totally different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: