Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

What transmission fluid for a Racing Powerglide?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: What transmission fluid for a Racing Powerglide? Reply with quote

I have a Transmission Specialties Proline 5000 Glide and I wonder what the best transmission fluid for that transmission?
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd find out what Transmission Specialties suggest.
I use Dextron 6 in my 700R4.
af2

71586.92 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What transmission fluid for a Racing Powerglide? Reply with quote

GrandSportC3 wrote:
I have a Transmission Specialties Proline 5000 Glide and I wonder what the best transmission fluid for that transmission?

Run what they say! That way they can't say you ran the wrong fluid! Stupid as it might be! Any fluid today would be just fine!
Having that much invested use what they want even if it is $100.00 per gallon stuff.

The first thing they will blame is the oil! Idea
Big Dave

120477.30 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When running someone else’s warranty I would also monitor the tranny fluid temp with a gauge and have a large by long cooler hanging out in an air stream somewhere; or covered with Spal fans (the only use I can find for an electric fan is for mounting onto an auxiliary cooler). As a CYA policy has worked well for me in the past.

For whatever reason, Autometer sells two identical gauges, one marked oil the other marked trans, but the one marked trans cost more. I bought the oil gauge and watch it in traffic to keep tabs on my tranny fluid's cool (no electric fan on my 21" x 18" x 1" tranny cooler). I don't have a gauge on the motor oil as I have a cooler for it (GM oil cooler off of a stock pick-up trick with towing package), and that is the best I can do for it even if it does get hot.

In my tranny I run Dextron, seems to work. I never have been a big believer in the "live long and prosper if you buy my brand of oil", but then I am a cynic who is not that far removed from the age of "snake oil" salesmen.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave on Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
engine dr

1335.62 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: trans fluid Reply with quote

i use type f oil in my trany, its a glide and is full of trans specialty guts. a couple of trany guys i know say the only thing better is b&m trick shift or racing synthetic, ive never used dextron but have used DEXRON in a pinch

The New Ride.
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
When running someone else’s warranty I would also monitor the tranny fluid temp with a gauge and have a large by long cooler hanging out in an air stream somewhere; or covered with Spal fans (the only use I can find for an electric fan is for mounting onto an auxiliary cooler). As a CYA policy has worked well for me in the past.

For whatever reason, Autometer sells two identical gauges, one marked oil the other marked trans, but the one marked trans cost more. I bought the oil gauge and watch it in traffic to keep tabs on my tranny fluid's cool (no electric fan on my 21" x 18" x 1" tranny cooler). I don't have a gauge on the motor oil as I have a cooler for it (GM oil cooler off of a stock pick-up trick with towing package), and that is the best I can do for it even if it does get hot.

In my tranny I run Dextron, seems to work. I never have been a big believer in the "live long and prosper if you buy my brand of oil", but then I am a cynic who is not that far removed from the age of "snake oil" salesmen.

Big Dave
I do monitor the tranny temperature.. I actually use it in place of the drain plug.. Has worked well for me.. I'm running a 18 inch heat sink design - dual pass cooler.. With the TH200R4 and my 4500 converter, I never ran above 150 degrees tranny temperature at the track.. Those heat sink coolers are very effective for drag racing.. I do have a second 18 inch heat sink dual pass cooler that I could add if the single cooler doesn't cool down the fluid enough.. However, I hardly doubt it..

10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What transmission fluid for a Racing Powerglide? Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Run what they say! That way they can't say you ran the wrong fluid! The first thing they will blame is the oil! Idea

engine dr wrote:
i use type f oil in my trany, its a glide and is full of trans specialty guts. a couple of trany guys i know say the only thing better is b&m trick shift or racing synthetic

if there is a warranty then ya better use what they recomend. if they say it doesnt matter then the Type F works really good. it gives firmer shifts much like the B&M fluid. i have used both back to back on the same trans (couldnt afford the B&M fluid after the second rebuild) and couldnt tell much difference.

pro60chevy

16.00 points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an overflow can?
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pro60chevy wrote:
Do you have an overflow can?

Overflow can for the transmission?? Nope... no overflow can for the tranny...
pro60chevy

16.00 points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good safety precaution. While you are on the brake, the trans temps will rise very quickly and puke out thru the vent. It happens, trust me.
Paul P

82671.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running the Mobil 1 Synthetic with great results. I used to run the TCI stuff but found it was no as good.
beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the BM regular stuff not the synthetic. BTW, what is the max trans temp you guys are seeing? Mine comes up to about 175 on a hot day cruising with a 3500 converter.
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea to have one just in case. Even my Nova puked on me once when the guy in the other lane took a long time putting on the 2nd bulb.
I use a one of those see through plastic containers that come with a MityVac hand held vacuum pump. I've got it mounted to the firewall where I can see and empty it easily.

I've never gone above 150 degrees in the return line.
Big Dave

120477.30 points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive on the street, and it runs at about 180°-195°F depending on traffic and ambient air temp. I have the Autometer gauge mounted below the ash tray above the tunnel, along with fuel pressure, and vacuum gauge.

I have the 5" Speedo and 5" tach, oil pressure, water temp and volts all on the dash were they are in my line of sight whle driving. Since my head is pushing the headliner I have no trouble seeing over them. (Anybody trying to steal my car probably couldn't reach the pedals or see over the top of gauges because my seat is pushed back to were the back seat normally starts, and sits right on the floor without an adjustment rack).

Big Dave
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauges?
I've got stinking gauges.

5" speedo with 4 gauges on each side.
Left side= Volts, Engine oil temp, Engine vacuum & H2O temp.
Right side= Fuel pressure, fuel gauge, Oil pressure & trans temp.
The 5" tach is mounted off the upper dash and I just added a Pyrometer next to it.

I'd send a picture but I never remember how to get it small enough. The mind is a terrible thing Head Bang
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: