Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

8 point cage part2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: 8 point cage part2 Reply with quote

i enlisted the help of a good friend
he is a pipefitter and is currently welding at our local oil refinery
(9th largest in the nation soon to be the 4th)on an expansion
all of his work is bubject to x-ray inspections

all the welding is going great no problems whatsoever on penetration

he has a 135 amp mig

so i trust him 100% with my life and skill i see the penetration with my own eyes and feel good about it
all thats left are the side bats and seat supports ?

question: what or when are seat supports mandatory?
or what are the rules/
af2

71864.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the post over 2 weeks ago?

I wouldn't trust myself with that welder on a cage!

I just hope you are not racing on the left coast!

Yep! I am being a bastard but I don't want to see any one hurt!

My son just welded the rest of his cage in his Blazer and it was set at 150 amps at 230 volts to get the proper penetration!

That said forget it!!!!!!!!!
May look good but won't pass!
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

other people i have asked also said no-go on the small MIG machines. NHRA rules specify MIG or TIG on mild steel, TIG ONLY on chrome moly. sorry to rain on your parade but it would suck to do all that work and have tech boot you off the track Sad . as far as the seat goes, the general rules say it must be supported on the bottom and back by the frame or crossmember.

you can achieve 100% penetration with a slightly larger gap using the small mig but that tends to make the weld weaker. ive seen it done and a good weldor could probably make it pass tech but its YOUR safety you need to consider.

af2

71864.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:

you can achieve 100% penetration with a slightly larger gap using the small mig but that tends to make the weld weaker. ive seen it done and a good weldor could probably make it pass tech but its YOUR safety you need to consider.

The more weld the weaker the joint is period!!

I never knew why people think the bigger weld is better????
So not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all this is the first car i personally had a cage put in
i may expect a 11.5 at best with this car

my buddy has done numerous cages for vehicles running at best low 10's

no problem passing tech!!!!

would it be different on the left coast? dont know!!
i live in minnesota....chances are tech could be more leanient with these slower cars such as mine
Big Dave

120538.84 points

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending upon your class and ET/Speed, the cage has to be inspected initially and signed off on by a NHRA official once before you can race; and then every 3 years after that date. The inspector will bore holes into the cage and inspect the back side of the joints for penetration and corrosion with an inspection mirror (no X-rays required yet).

The cross bar has to be less than 30 away from horizontal (so it can not be used as a cross brace). The top seat belt forms a line with the bar that must be level, or with the bar, no more than 4" below the top of your shoulder when seated in your seat. Page 220, 2007 NHRA rule book.

I can remember when major sponsors of NASCAR used to build mock-ups of popular cars and leave them on static display in front of their advertised vendors store. They used exhaust tubing for roll bars that even kids could see were fake. They made no attempt to hide the spatter from the stick welder used to throw these tin cans together. A trained inspector will not miss much, and knows more than kids hanging out in front of a grocery store getting their picture taken in a Tide colored pretend car without a slot to put your quarter in (to distinguish it from the other toy cars in front of grocery stores).

Big Dave
jeep_406

53343.70 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky to run at a track where tech is tough.
We are talking your safety. Rent or borrow a mig welder and do it right. It's not whether you can sneak it through tech inspection, the goal is to keep you alive. To go through all that work and have a bar that may not hold up in a crash is very short sighted. I know of someone who was killed years ago when his stick welded cage broke at a weld on impact and went through his helmet.

We don't need a bar until we run quicker than 11.5 but 2 years ago I saw a 1962 Bubbletop go on it's roof after hitting the jersey barrier. He only ran mid 12's. Fortunately the driver survived but he broke his back and had other internal injuries. It inspired me to put a bar in my Nova. I didn't want to because it's a street car but now I'm glad I did.

Rules are rules but some should be ammended. For example in the slower classes like street you can run the stock seat belt but if you run a lap belt it must be updated every two years. I'd much rather have a 3-4-5 year old lap belt than my 1972 Nova stock set-up. Always thought that was silly but thems the rules.
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i guess il let eveyone know what tech consists of for me
i dont know what to expect due to the fact ive never been through it
i guess there will be a part 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: