Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

T400 & Blown SBC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlownNovaSS

100.00 points

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: T400 & Blown SBC Reply with quote

I've been a member for only a day and asking questions right out of the box! I'm nearing the end with my project '68 Nova, Alston back half, tubbed, FAB-9, 4-Link, Detroit Locker with 4.11's and 10 pt cage. I purchased a Weiand 8-71 (in the 5-7 lbs boost arena) and a couple of BG Demon 750 blower carbs. I have a couple of 4 bolt 350's one of which is a good 010 block and may go 383 for the blower motor with my Dart Pro-1 aluminum heads. It'll be on the street mostly, low mileage use and occasionally a run at Polar Raceway here in Alaska.

My question is my trans, I have a T400 and a PG in the shed, and common sense tells me the T400 is my best all around bet. It needs rebuilding so what mods (spelled $$) should I anticipate to make this thing hold up? I'm using 29x15x18.5 MT Sportsman's, haven't settled on a cam package yet and will probably go with 8.5 static c.r.

I've always been Mr. Overkill with this type of project, never stomped a blown loud pedal, but my wallet's getting pretty thin right now so I'll be doing the rebuild/mods myself. I'd appreciate some input on the trans and the whole package if anyone has any ideas or suggestions by all means jump in.

Thanks, Larry

100.00 points

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: trans mods Reply with quote

the best way to find out what mods you can do yourself is to scan the net for them.

i did my own th350 and got the milled direct clutch drum piston(allows more clutches, 5 frictions) to increase torque capacity. also pulled the acumulator springs to quicken 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. also set end play, pump side to .020.
this is all for the th350, the th400 might be different. I got a lot of the info from the internet and from a diy tranny guide from jegs. get one!! it will be indespensible.
there is a ton of pg hipo parts out there to build the glide. also books to fill the whole shelf!!
my best advice is to do the research and print everything, and measure everything twice!!
try:www.netgearhead.com they have a bb for all popular trannies
hope this helps, and good luck!!
crazyL

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 400T is no doubt the tough trans. I cant help with the mods you need to run with the blower, but will say that B&M put out a modu link(mechanical modulator), as you wont see vacumn with the blower motor. It sounds likea load of fun tho Very Happy Good luck
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also go with the turbo 400. Besides being a very strong trans, the 3 spd will help at the drag strip over the powerglide's two spds. The car you have chosen is a mid size and will really like the middle gear to get down the track. Plus it will keep your rpm up, (the blower will like that.)
Hope this helps Good Luck!
chevyracer4life

100.00 points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: T400 & Blown SBC Reply with quote

a buddy of mine just got a th400 in his 73 camaro from monster motorsports and that thing shifts like ive never seen!!! i cant wait till my tranny goes out to get one. i think this is their site www.fearthemonster.com or somethin like that, goodluck dude[/url]
techinspector1

100.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can appreciate everyone's arguments for the 400, I'd use the 'glide in this application for the following reasons:

1. You will be making a ton of power and don't need 3 gears.

2. You will undoubtably be using a high-stall converter. This will keep the r's up and is another reason you don't need 3 gears.

3. The 'glide is lighter and has fewer internal parts, resulting in less parasitic loss.

4. The 'glide is cheaper to build and maintain.

5. All the fast doorslammers at the dragstrip use a 'glide.

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: