Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

B&M Shifter install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig_Morrison

559.48 points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: B&M Shifter install Reply with quote

ok, so i purchased a B&M quicksilver ratchet shifter. i had bucket seats & floor shift in it, and i didnt like the bucket seats. so i put a split bench in it (much more comfy IMO). can anyone explain how this should be mounted? whats the easiest way? any help is great!
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: B&M Shifter install Reply with quote

Craig_Morrison wrote:
ok, so i purchased a B&M quicksilver ratchet shifter. i had bucket seats & floor shift in it, and i didnt like the bucket seats. so i put a split bench in it (much more comfy IMO). can anyone explain how this should be mounted? whats the easiest way? any help is great!

Bench? My wife liked it 25 years ago! Cool
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard to say how to mount it without seeing a mock-up in the car. i would think, with the bench seat, you would need to raise it up some to be able to reach it. unless of course you have arms like a gorilla.

if i remember correctly, it uses a cable so i would mount it where its most comfortable. may need a longer cable and you will probably have to make spacers to get it where you want it.

nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: B&M Shifter install Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Craig_Morrison wrote:

Hmmm, how old is your eldest son? Very Happy
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: B&M Shifter install Reply with quote

nwcc wrote:
af2 wrote:
Craig_Morrison wrote:

28 Shocked Just kidding! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

20 at this time. Hows the back?!

Install it so you don't have to reach for it! The worst thing is finding something that should be a natural pull or push.
Craig_Morrison

559.48 points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i brang it out to the car and just sat it on the floor, and its really comfy when the passenger side bench seat is all the way back. the shifter sits perfect, right height and right where i need it. so would i just screw it to the floor?
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig_Morrison wrote:
so would i just screw it to the floor?

depends on what you have in mind. yes, you will ultimately "just screw it to the floor" but, you should add some reinforcements to the underside of the floor to prevent cracking from operating the ratchet shifter. you could use fender washers but if it were me, i would put a 1/8x1 inch piece of flat steel on the backside that went all the way across from one side of the shifter to the other and bolt it all together with grade 5 bolts, flat & lock washers.

af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would weld an angle plate to the floor and bolt it to it before even thinking about screwing it to the floor. I know what you were saying in you're last post. Laughing Laughing Laughing
nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: B&M Shifter install Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
nwcc wrote:
af2 wrote:
Craig_Morrison wrote:

Install it so you don't have to reach for it! The worst thing is finding something that should be a natural pull or push.

I'm still on the mend. But, I'm feeling alot better.
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: B&M Shifter install Reply with quote

nwcc wrote:
af2 wrote:
nwcc wrote:
af2 wrote:
Craig_Morrison wrote:

I'm still on the mend. But, I'm feeling alot better.

Glad you're back so to speak!!
cutlass389

8544.62 points

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until very recently I had a split-bench in my Cutlass. When I installed the megashifter, it sat just right resting against the passenger-mid-seat with the adjustment all the way back too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: