Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Awesome place to be, guys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrChukls

599.46 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Awesome place to be, guys Reply with quote

I'm a newb here obviously, but after looking around and reading some of the posts/topics and the info that gets posted, I have to say that I'm extremely impressed. Not that I'm anyone important or anything, it's just nice to be around a group of people that know what they are talking about, and don't beat around the bush to get to the point. Great job everyone.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65237.80 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment. Welcome to SMOKEmUP.
restomod

6693.02 points

1969 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site. Very Happy
Big Dave

120603.72 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site.

On the car pictured. Did you torch a perfectly good car, or did you take a total burned out hulk of a wreck and then restore it to life? One way of looking at them (from the bottom up) you're just another garden variety pyro, but viewed from the top down; you have to one of the best body men on the planet!

Big Dave
af2

71957.86 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Welcome to the site.

On the car pictured. Did you torch a perfectly good car, or did you take a total burned out hulk of a wreck and then restore it to life? One way of looking at them (from the bottom up) you're just another garden variety pyro, but viewed from the top down; you have to one of the best body men on the planet!

Big Dave

He He that was my thought also? Wink Cheers wasted drooling retard

That was my thought! Being the straight forward person I am like it or not!
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would also like to hear the story on the car Cool .

welcome to SMOKEmUP!!!

MrChukls

599.46 points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised at no laughter as to the model. Cool. Anyways, no pyro stuff here. Loved that thing to pieces, so there's no way I was burning it. I know it's not a car that gets much respect, but I treated it like gold anyways. It started life as a granny mobile and eventually found it's way to my hands. It had a 3.0L (182 measly cubic inches) "Vulcan" V6 and a slushbox. It was immaculate and absolutely rust free. After it just being a-b transport for about 6 months, I decided to get creative. It was repainted factory colour after a fender bender with a Vette. I had them mix in a larger metallic flake, then clear coat it twice more than usual. I also had them shave a few things while they were at it. After that, I ordered custom made springs (to my specs) for suspension, new struts, and fabricated a front strut bar. I also found cross-drilled front rotors and titanium/ceramic pads to put on, simply because the car was horribly under-braked. Disappointed by the lack-lustre performance, I started looking for parts to throw at the motor. I fabbed up an intake including a larger MAF. Then I made new down-tubes and a full dual 2" side exit exhaust. The intake I made caused the MAF to read to the point that the injectors couldn't keep up, so I put in 17lb Accel ones. I advanced the timing, and dropped a profile in the tire. It only threw the sped off by 2MPH, and shed some inertial mass. I was in the process of getting the comp flashed but turns out it's hard to find someone that'll flash an EEC IV around here. I pulled the heads off and cleaned up the ports (mild abrasives, just to polish them up), and had the local machine shop flatten them out and do a better valve job. I swapped the upper intake plenum for the '00 Taurus composite manifold, and found a larger TB to mount to it (the factory mani had the TB cast right into it Mad ). I had made flanges for headers, but hadn't yet made the rest. The slushbox was a real PITA (being 3 speed and no overdrive Evil or Very Mad ) so I sourced out the MTX IV 5 speed (same as 95ish Taurus SHO's) and swapped it in, incorporating new mounts that I filled in with windshield urethane. I didn't use the cable style shifter and opted to swap it over to a rod style. I was happy with the throw length and simply tightened things up to make everything more firm. I also bolted up a Centerforce clutch. That tranny swap alone shaved almost a full second off the 1320!!! Then I simply ran out of wallet, so I let it sit for the winter. When summer rolled around again, I decided to do a full stereo. I started out with a big, flashy setup that was loud as hell, but then opted to make it small and light, since bass doesn't make the car faster. I found a factory styling kit (front bumper, side skirts and rear bumper) and bolted it on. Unfortuneatly, the picture isn't the most recent, so you can't see them I also had swapped the factory bumper back on the day those pictures were took of it burnt. That was just before I pulled off the rims and stripped the engine bay. The stock springs were also in it in the non-burnt picture as well.

After going to the "red light race track" the night before, I still had not replaced the carpet, trim, seats, and other things, but left the stereo in, minus a sub (it had two, and one alone is worth about 60 lbs). I was at a friends and decided to head home. After a little altercation with a rice-burner (I hate Honda's, by the way), I decided to let her stretch her legs. I had a nice long stretch of road in front of me, so I dropped the hammer. Found out that she'll bury the 120 MPH spedo and then some. If I had to guess, top end is 130-135. I took a bend and started to accelerate again. All of a sudden the RPM starts dropping (thought: ***oil pressure.... noooooo***). I hear a "whoosh" and through the small bolt holes in the floor (where the seat's mount up) I see this orange-yellow glow. The car was at 120 MPH on fire.... Picture that... I got it stopped and looked underneath to see what had gone wrong and to see if I could stop the fire. Nope, fuel line burst and hit the exhaust, and it was still dumping fuel on the fire. I got in the car to shut it down (leg hanging out the door) and grab my stuff. My wallet, and some clothes were still in the car. The fire flared before I could get my stuff, catching my outstretched leg on fire. I managed to get it out, but was still determined (or stupid enough) to get my wallet. I ran around to the right rear door and as soon as I got my hand on the door handle, the gas cap flew off taking flames with it. The plume missed my head by about six inches. I realized the value of life at that point, and decided to let everything go before I got killed. It burnt to the firewall, so I was able to save the front rims, suspension, and motor/trans. They now reside in a green two door of the same model. I had to stand there and watch it burn. In the midst of it all, I had popped the trunk, propped up the hood, and left one door open. All of a sudden all of the lights came on, the horn blared, and the alarm system let out one loud howling scream. Then, the door shut, the trunk dropped, the hood dropped, the windshield caved, and all the lights went out. The noise stopped at the same time. I was lucky that someone saw the 16 foot flames and called the FD, as my cell phone was (ironically enough) at home charging. The car ran low 15's at between 98-103 MPH. I have no timeslips, however, as I had further plans on racing it. I can't remember my reaction times, or even the 60 foot times. I can tell you that I can remember being told that I should try and work on sharpening up my reaction times. I also should have invested in slicks, but meh. I also only ever got stopped once for the exhaust too... Not bad for only having a cat and glass pack.

Last edited by MrChukls on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
MrChukls

599.46 points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOPS Embarassed Confused Shocked That was a really long post... Sorry. Thanks for reading?? Very Happy
jeep_406

53369.72 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been tough to see all your work go up in smoke.
With your fabrication ability, I'm sure you'll be putting your touch on something else soon.
MrChukls

599.46 points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I hope I get something going soon. I'd like something older, actually. It's too bad I didn't have the cash about a year ago, cause I could have bought a 65 Dodge Dart 2 door with a slant six and auto. However, in the deal was a late model 392 Hemi and new rear end. Now, cash is an issue again, and there's a 74 Duster at the Dodge dealer in town. 360, auto, exhaust & carb. Exclamation Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Mad Crying or Very sad
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man! That's one heck of a story and glad you're alright. Sounded like a neat car, now since some of it lives on, it can be made faster, stronger - bionical even (yes I watched the bionic man). Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> New Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: