Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

pinion centerline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: pinion centerline Reply with quote

when i get this 9" welded together and start setting it up in the car, should the pinion be aligned with the trans output shaft or offset to the right (pass side). im not sure which is best because ive seen both. unfortunately i have never paid much attention to the way race cars are set up (out of sight-out of mind). i only know from factory set-ups. seems to me it would put less stress on the trans output shaft and housing if it were aligned "straight". at least thats how i plan to do it unless someone has a good reason i shouldnt.

Big Dave

120538.84 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equal but opposite. If the motor is offset, as it is in a BBC in a Camaro, the pinion is offset the same amount so that the two angles cancel.

Same for up and down. Draw a line through the crank and trans the angle formed should be the same on the pinion only in the opposite direction. The only other thing to take into account is deflection of the suspension. With a Hotchkiss rear end (two leaf springs used to hold up and center the buggy axle on the wagon) the springs can bend. When you are considering the pinion angle you have to consider this deflection as well (add it into the offset angle from the crank centerline). Or you have to limit the deflection like Chrysler did with the street Hemi and 440 rear ends with a pinion snubber to limit rear end wind up.

If you are using ladder bars or a four link this isn't a concern as the rear end is fixed relative to the chassis and only swings in an arc.

The drive shaft will develop strong harmonic vibrations if the pinion angles do not cannel each other out.

Big Dave
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Dave!!! i need to make sure the motor/trans is straight. i drew out vehicle centerline on the floor under the car (used plumb bobs) but i forgot to check alignment of the motor/trans.

Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Pinion Centerline. Reply with quote

If you are having the rearend narrowed center the pinion in the chassis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: