Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

My clutch is on fire!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmotionalMan

100.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: My clutch is on fire!! Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2002 Camaro Z28 with a load of options. But of course I am no pro at 6-speed manual. Anyway I feel like I do ok with the clutch (fairly smooth, fully pulling the clutch out during driving).

My real problem comes from this smell. At first you think its the outside. Some natural gas leak smell. Until one day I was driving my friend somewhere and he says your clutch is burning up. I am not sure if he is right, it could be a host of problems that could be causing this burning smell. It does seem reasonable though since it experiences a load of friction aside from the brakes (which could also be making the smell). I fear driving my car for beating it up under my own novice manual skills.

My car is still under warranty and everything so it shouldn't be a problem if something does really go wrong. Though I do wonder what could be the problem, and if I can fix it by being a better driver (if I could figure out what I am doing wrong).

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65149.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the clutch on your car. Also the warranty may not cover the clutch because it's considered a wear and tear item (like your brakes).

The clutch can make a similar type smell to the brakes, it's a bit different and I can't put it into words.

After your done driving it and you can smell the odor go around and feel all the wheels on the car. They'll be really hot if your burned them. Also smell each wheel and you'll be able to tell if this is where the smell is coming from.

You can also be a good driver and still smoke the clutch. Those cars have a lot of power and can start to slip just by getting on it. You start to notice the car doesn't pull as hard and the rpms will climb faster than the car is accelerating.
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest taking the car back to the dealer so they can look at it. I agree that the clutch is considered a consumable item (like brakes), however the age of the car is such that it makes me think there might be a problem. If the clutch wasn't cleaned properly when it was installed, or you may have a small rear main leak etc. these things will cause the clutch to slip. If they take the car apart and find everything to be ok, at least you will have a fresh clutch ( not that expensive really)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: