Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

where do I go from here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
get it all

100.00 points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: where do I go from here? Reply with quote

Hello, I am brand new here but from what I was reading on your site, it seems like you people know what you are talking about. I have a 66 mustang coupe I have had for years. The engine was supposed to be a 289 with very high miles. The car was running really tired so I thought I would freshen it up a bit. Come to find out when I pulled the engine and looked at the block, the casting #s were from a 302 cir.1970. Also one of the heads was for a 289 and the other for a 302! So I realized I had a lot of work instore for me to say the least. Shocked I took the block to the local machine shop had it tanked and rebored to 0.60 over. Also had the crank ground and chamfered. Keith Black hypereutectic pistons, moly rings, ARP rod bolts, double row timing chain, high volume oil pump, 58cc chamber heads completely redone with 3/angle valvejob with screw in studs. The cam I am not sure about anymore I told them to choose the best one for my application and to make sure they matched springs, hydralic lifters and hardened pushrods as well as roller rockers with it. I have a stealth dual plane manifold on top with a holly 600 vac. sec. Also I have bought a new distributor and module converting it over to electronic ignition. I do not mean to bore anyone, I just want to be as accurate as possible with what the car has going on. You can guess what happens now, right? Way to much motor for the car. I still have a c-4 automatic with a stock converter as well as an 8" rear with 2.80:1 gears. I am stopped at this point because I do not know what type of gears in the rear to have and what stall of a converter to have. This is just a weekend ride just about like owning a boat. Just a big hole to throw money in but I have a good time doing it. If anyone could steer me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: 66 Mustang engine build n' stuff like that!! Reply with quote

I'd really try to find out the info on the cam so you can figure what torque converter to put in it. You need a high enough stall speed so the car can get going. Once you find out what you need for a converter, buy a good one.
How much compression does the combination give you?
A 3.50 rear gear would probably give you the accelleration your looking for without reving the engine out of sight on the highway. I would at least go with a 3.25 gear.
Make sure you have the radiator checked for flow and see if the cooling fins are still connected to the tubes. If the fins are rotted and fall off the core. . . replace it.
If the water pump isn't new, replace that too.
One more thing buy a new intermediate shaft that runs the oil pump off the distributor.
I am very familiar with the 64 1/2 to 66 Mustang. I used to mechanically restore them. Two that I did won best at Hershey.

If I can help, let me know.

Jeep-406
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: