Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

New to Tuning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmarr6

1182.80 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: New to Tuning Reply with quote

This is my first Gen III engine. Been a gen I small block guy all my life and decided to take the dive into the Gen III pool. So far, i love it. Great engines, nicely engineered. I am good with the mechanical side of things, but am sorely lacking any knowledge on the computer side of things. I have been reading and studying as much as I can about tuning and all, but am still quite confused. I need some advice on how to get started. I almost have the engine done and am quickly approaching the moment of truth. What do I need to get the tuning set up and get this thing running? The engine is mildly built. It's a 2001 5.3. Put a cam (580 lift, 220 duration, 114 lsa). New flat top pistons from a 4.8. Did some porting on the stock heads and some headers. Going with an old style muncie 4 speed, so don't need the transmission control. Can I start it up with the original computer? or do i need to get a custom tune. And, if I need a tune, can I just have the original computer reflashed, or do I need an aftermarket tuner? New to all this tuning aspect of things and need some advice to get started. Which is the best way to go? Thanks.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you're swapping the engine into something.

If you stick with the stock computer and harness you need to modify the harness. You can run the stock computer and it should start but it will idle pretty bad, at least mine did after the cam swap. You have plenty of options for tuning software, HPtuners, EFI Live are the two most popular. Plenty of resources on the internet for how to use each system for tuning. I personally have HPTuners and like it. Recommend getting a wideband oxygen sensor to make your life easier on tuning.

Another option is aftermarket EFI controllers and several companies make them. I have Holley EFI on the small block in my boat and tuning is really easy with it. The holley has a kit to control the LS1. It comes with a harness and built in wideband.

I challenge you to push yourself.
cmarr6

1182.80 points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is where the confusion comes in. I am fairly computer literate so I hope I don't sound completely stupid. HPtuners is "software" right? This allows me to reflash my stock ECM? I have done alot of research on this but have not found anything that clearly explains the process and what i really need. I have taken some online tuning classes and am fairly knowledgeable about how it works, but just can't seem to understand what is needed. So, I can purchase some software (hptuners?) that will allow me to use my "stock" computer and rework the software on it to make my motor run in my car? Yes I am swapping into a 66 impala, and I am going to modify my harness. I won't need all the other stuff like TCM and BCM, just the tune to operate the motor. I have found the instructions online how to do this. The part that I can't completely understand is the computer and software element. SO, I can modify my stock computer with HPtuners (or other similar software), or send it off and have it reflashed by someone else? OR purchase a completely new ECM that I can modify as I see fit? Sorry if I sound so stupid, but completely new to this. Used to be a diehard GenI guy, but decided to make the jump to GenIII/IV. Really like it so far if I can just get this computer stuff into my thick skull!!!!
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i think, knowing what i do now, i would buy the Holley Dominator setup and be done with it. its a bit pricey but well worth it if you're new to tuning.

yes, you can get EFI Live or HP tuners and tune your factory computer. both will work equally well. only thing about EFI Live is its from Australia so they have a bit of different terminology. throttle "stomp" and "cracker" immediately come to mind. its a GREAT tuning tool... once you learn how to use it.

another problem with tuning the factory computer is those things dont like being without all its little brother and sister computers the factory vehicle had. they develop separation anxiety and do weird things. some issues are small and easy to resolve. others, you simply have to figure out how to tune around them. thats where the frustration begins for a novice tuner and the whole project ends up with a for sale sign.

cmarr6

1182.80 points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at the Holley dominator setup and it looks to be way more that I need at this point, let alone the cost. I am on a budget so am looking to do this as cheaply as possible. I have everything ready to go, just have to figure out the computer aspect of it. I think I will go ahead with the HPTuner system. I am worried about all the other systems as you said. Hopefully I can disable all the other stuff and not have too many problems. Just need the engine management stuff. Guess i just need to dive into the deep end!!!! Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will need more.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPTuners is mostly software but comes with some hardware. An OBDII cable so you can plug in your PC. The professional version has additional hardware to input external sensors which most people use for wideband O2.

I'm with 10sec.et and if I had to do it over I'd go with the Holley set up. The HPTuners doesn't have an auto tune feature like the holley does which is great, makes me wonder how I tuned before this. The cost sounds high at first but you won't have to pay to modify the harness and/or buy HPTuners. The cost of HPTuners Pro is $649 and cost of a harness rework from speartech is $630. Plus you'll need a wideband O2 which is about $200. So you're into it for $1,479. Granted you can modify the harness yourself but I'm sure you'll at least spend $100 on misc stuff so you're at $949 on the low end.

The holley kit from summit is $1,700 but that's everything you'll need to be up and running in no time. This is with a new harness, new ECU and wideband O2 included.

I don't think you need the dominator setup unless you plan to control the transmission (correct me if I'm wrong).

I challenge you to push yourself.

Last edited by SMOKEmUP on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the Dominator because it gives room to grow. it does auto trans and Drive By Wire. once you get used to tuning DBW, you wont want to ever even look at a throttle cable and idle stepper motor. that being said, if you don't NEED those features, the HP system is great!

which ever way you go, there's plenty knowledge here if you get stuck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: