Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Raise a 73 Nova

View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEVE1103

609.94 points

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Raise a 73 Nova Reply with quote

Want to give my 73 Nova the gasser look, want to raise it 2-3 inches all around, what is the best way to do this? Thanks
Big Dave

119633.92 points

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To raise the front end you replace the front springs. The free height and the spring rate can be considered to determine how much lift you get.

The cam war gassers ran back in the early sixties and were technologically not very sophisticated. They generally had a straight axle because they were using light weight post WWII cars from the independent car manufactures that supplied America with economy (cheap) cars, and a straight axle is cheap to make.

In the mid sixties the Factory Experimentals arrived on the scene with their stink bug nose down and rear end sky high. The F/X cars evolved into todays Funny Cars as they altered wheel bases and axle placement to get an advantage and still play by the rules.

I do not know of any class that raced with a car high all the way around on pavement, rock crawlers and swappers yes, but not racing at high speed. If you want the rear raised, you once again need to replace the springs with a set that are arched higher to raise the back end. Just installing longer spring shackels will not help as much as new springs.

Gassers often ran without a front bumper to loose weight. In the case of the '73 Nova that big battering ram of a bumper being removed would be an improvement. They had the smallest tallest tires that they could find on the front axle and the biggest recapped tire that they could find on the back axle. There were two or three companies that made a name for themselves recapping old Cadillac tires with a flat truck casing. M&H, Casler, and one other that I can not recall off the top of my head used to make those tires for racers. If you want that look there are people like Coker tire and Towel City

http://www.towelcityracingtires.com/Pie_Crust_Cheater_Slicks.html

http://www.cokertire.com/catalog.html

They cost more than a DOT radial slick does and probably won't offer the same amount of traction if you are going for more than cosmetics.

Big Dave
STEVE1103

609.94 points

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Raise car Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I always had my cars racked in the 60's, my 65 Chevelle ran good, 63 Chevy with station wagon springs, look cool at that time, don't like them low!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Nova All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: