Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

rod side clearance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grslms51

1867.16 points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn..looks like he put it together with a rock between the crank and bearing..good thing you checked every thing.. could have been a time bomb.
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i want to know is how do you Chevy guys deal with this. honestly, if you drop off an Olds at a Chevy/Ford machinist this is what you inevitably end up with. i figured this time would be different because i know the guy but is the same across the country. 95% of the time a machinist that does not specialize in Olds this happens. do they just get pissed off at us for bringing in something different ? why does quality control go out the window on an Olds ? is it really that hard to get your head out of your ass long enough to clean a crank even if it isnt Chevy or Ford ? WTF ????

ok, rant over smoking

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really shouldn't matter for doing the machine work. Basically a crank is a crank, a rod is a rod, etc. Now clearances may have to vary slightly due to different main bearing diameters, bore size, etc. but that should be standard practice for a machinist. For example if all of your rod clearances had been the same but not quite the exact thing you wanted, I could accept that as a mistake or just not knowing. Having everything clean for final assembly has nothing to do with what brand, make or model it is. I have a recent example that happened to me. I dropped my heads off to be resurfaced after my piston meltdown. I told him I wanted a minimum cleanup because I didn't need any extra compression. When I picked them up he was very busy as usual and I was in a hurry so I didn't notice he had put them on the belt sander to resurface. I was kinda pissed about it so I took my piston and head gasket back by there a few days later to ask some questions about them and also talked to him about the sand job. He said since I told him I was going to use the MLS gaskets and wanted minimum material removal, he tried to get the surface as smooth as possible. Now it was smooth and I did check it with a straight edge and it is very flat and I haven't had any problems so far, so right now I'll have to say he's right. I did think he charged too much for sticking them on the belt sander but I NEVER argue price with my machinist. Some things I think he charges too much, some things too little so if you are doing a complete engine, it balances out. Doing what you have to do is a touchy thing and I don't envy you at all. What sucks it he already has your money. Clay
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, i totally agree. however, i think what happens is that these Chevy/Ford machinists get into a "comfort zone" where they know all the specs to use and all the steps to take due to repitition. they dont really have to think as everything is second nature. the problems occur when you get them out of their comfort zone and they actually do have to carefully plan out every aspect of the build. we all have our procedures for doing things and when that procedure gets upset for whatever reason bad things can happen if youre not paying extra close attention to details. simple things get overlooked. this guy that was doing my engine work continues to produce seemingly flawless Chevys and Fords. i will admit that i am mostly to blame for not taking total control of this build and assuming that i could just drop off parts with a few critical specs and pick up a completed short block. you know what they say, "if you want it done right...."

oh, as far as him having all of my money........ Twisted Evil i talked him into letting me pick up the block with about $400 left on the bill. he called me today and will be taking some of that off. two rods absolutely must be replaced. as far as the others he is polishing the rough sides. he also figured out that the crank grinder got two journals .003 wider than they should have been. right now the clearance on the remaining three pair is .022 to .025.

af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the shop here did just Chevy / ford they would have been broke 25 years ago!!
That is total BS.
To bore a block/align a block then clean the shyt out is not that tough!!!!!!!

The shop is pretty fuqqen lame!!!!!!!!!!
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i talked him into letting me pick up the block with about $400 left on the bill.

That worked out good in your case - gave you a little leverage. Clay

10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
If the shop here did just Chevy / ford they would have been broke 25 years ago!!
That is total BS.
To bore a block/align a block then clean the shyt out is not that tough!!!!!!!

The shop is pretty fuqqen lame!!!!!!!!!!

Adam, you dont understand, the shops here that do racing/performance make most of their living off of Fords and Chevys. they will tell you when you drag something different in the shop "we are not set up to work on that, go somewhere else". they HOPE they piss of customers with unusual builds so they never come back. they really dont care about anything without a bowtie or blue oval.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That attitude stinks. I do realize that's where they make their money and that's what pays the bills. There are jobs at work that are routine because that's what makes the tires. However the trend has been to buy outside tire building equipment instead of Michelin making it. It usually comes with no documentation so when something breaks (and that's inevitable) we have to recreate what broke from what's left. We also try to improve the design with a design tweak or material change. It can take a fair amount of research sometimes and it has to be done in a hurry because the machine's down most of the time. It can be a pain, but it's very intersting. I wish I had the equipment to do some machine work at home because I like every engine ever made - they each have something different to offer. I'd love to build and old flathead V-8 or inline 6 for that matter, anything oddball I love. I really hope it works out for the best for you. Clay
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a guy who owns a FE, and spent his first several years of car hobby messing with L-series datsun engines followed by NAPS-Z under the Nissan label, oh how I can relate to the pain of the Olds guys.

I dont know what exactly I will do for machine work when I need more done- they guy I used to take my stuff to (who said himself he liked odd jobs- perfect!) has completely retired...

I agree that not washing the block out was just careless on his part... I guess there are no guarantees in life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: