Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Carburetor help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Idle is at 5.5?

This whole thread has taken a crap!!!

It started as a secondary problem revving at 3000 when butterflies are closed?

WTH!!!!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes

It start off as a slow to return idle....
Not sue how and why this thread takes a crap when the guy's are helping me understand and to work on the carb my self. I lost over $300.00 to have the same company work on it. And the help here and holley witch talk to them to day found out the carb is set up wrong. Power valve should be 2.5 to 3.5 for my motor.

Sad

10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your vacuum at idle really is 5.5" then you might as well just plug the power valves and jet the carb square. i would start with jets somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-84 and read plugs. of course, without me actually being able to drive the car, this is somewhat of a guess.

oh, the accel pump levers............ NO GAP. dont know where that myth started but you want instant pump shot when the throttle starts to open all the way through the stroke.

10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam....... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Laughing

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jag327 wrote:
af2 wrote:
Idle is at 5.5?

Not sue how and why this thread takes a crap when the guy's are helping me understand and to work on the carb my self. I lost over $300.00 to have the same company work on it. And the help here and holley witch talk to them to day found out the carb is set up wrong. Power valve should be 2.5 to 3.5 for my motor.

Sad

I think he means its easier with as much info as possible to help you out- not that he isnt glad you're getting this worked out. Or so I take it- I dont mean to try to put words in anyone's mouth but I have received good help on here... and more than once for sure Very Happy

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pump level air gap BS- one of the brilliant teachings of my old mechanics instructor- need .030" air gap... Hence my signature. I would be better off if I never went to school- wouldnt have to un-learn garbage like that....
Paul P

83266.64 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am staying out of this one. Once I saw the wire holding the fan in his other post I knew this was not going to be good either..... Rolling Eyes smoking retard Poke

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.59@104.03 MPH 1/8mi
10.40@127.73 MPH 1/4mi
af2

71864.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jag327 wrote:
af2 wrote:
Idle is at 5.5?

Sad

I should have said it has taken a turn.

Now forget the 300 and fix it. I bought a Qjet off ebay 8 months ago and have had it apart 3 times to get the f'n sand out of it. That is what you get buying parts you don't know about. But it has an electric choke. Cool

The thread started with the secondaries hanging up from what I read then went to 5.5" of vacuum at idle? That is a Question mark.

Me and everyone here are trying to help but you have to read and take what you might think about the negative comments with a grain of salt.

Keith mentioned about plugging the P/V. You will have to see upon driving if it will work for you. The jetting will have to be upped as he said.

From the pics you posted there are no restrictions in the idle circuits and they have to be there with 5.5" of vacuum.

EDIT::: The pump lever has to be on the pump arm with .030 clearance at the END of the stroke! NOT .030 clearance before as too many people assume. Wink

EDIT#2
If the cam is too big to idle at 600 rpm at 5.5" set it at 900 and you will see more vacuum if you have the converter. Otherwise you need a loose converter.
af2

71864.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
Adam....... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Laughing

I hate Wiskey.
A Stolley/7 works! Laughing
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
I am staying out of this one. Once I saw the wire holding the fan in his other post I knew this was not going to be good either..... Rolling Eyes smoking retard Poke

The fan wire is there only and only to make sure the fan will cool the motor, before I make the brackets.

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
jag327 wrote:
af2 wrote:
Idle is at 5.5?

Sad

I should have said it has taken a turn.

Now forget the 300 and fix it. I bought a Qjet off ebay 8 months ago and have had it apart 3 times to get the f'n sand out of it. That is what you get buying parts you don't know about. But it has an electric choke. Cool

The thread started with the secondaries hanging up from what I read then went to 5.5" of vacuum at idle? That is a Question mark.

Me and everyone here are trying to help but you have to read and take what you might think about the negative comments with a grain of salt.

Keith mentioned about plugging the P/V. You will have to see upon driving if it will work for you. The jetting will have to be upped as he said.

From the pics you posted there are no restrictions in the idle circuits and they have to be there with 5.5" of vacuum.

EDIT::: The pump lever has to be on the pump arm with .030 clearance at the END of the stroke! NOT .030 clearance before as too many people assume. Wink

EDIT#2
If the cam is too big to idle at 600 rpm at 5.5" set it at 900 and you will see more vacuum if you have the converter. Otherwise you need a loose converter.

My cam idle is at 750 just enough for the alternator to charge battery, idle vacuum is 5.5 to 6, I have to ask all question to learn no matter how silly it my be. I bought a few books today and I to talk Holley they sending out there service DVD free and told me the carb is a 780 model 3310 for a chevy camaro 396. I bought the carb off of ebay the same guy sold a few carbs local here and every I that bought from them seem to be happy.
So base on that I bought from them also I was told the carb was 700 that flows 735cfm Holley said it a good carb they guy may have thought it was 700 because 700 750 780 look the same.

I pick up a jet kit and few power valves to. Carb is put together now I will try it this weekend.

"O" I found the old power valve gaskets crack to.

Smokem up has help with this car that for sure, And I'm still not finish rear end frame tire fitments come up, richmond 5 speed will be installing, change the rear from 373 to 410 gearing. wiring up a new dash speedometer safety lights turn single lights...

Going to move the battery to the back of the car 1 free state battery and 1 yellow top 1 for the starter only and the other to run everything els.

af2

71864.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3310 is and always has been vacuum secondary.
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
3310 is and always has been vacuum secondary.

Yes your right that what Holley side, they side most do get mods dun to them.

They told me to drill out or enlarge air bleeds on top 1 drill bit sides up.

Man thanks to every here I feet a lot better and good about working on the rest of my other cabs to. No more shops take my money for work that was not completed.

I will let you all no how things turn out.

"O" lift out I did pick up a power valve hold block kit.

Very Happy Very Happy

Paul P

83266.64 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy You'll get there. As Adam said and he knows first hand...
All in good fun no serious Poke

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.59@104.03 MPH 1/8mi
10.40@127.73 MPH 1/4mi
jeep_406

53343.70 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for showing up so late to the dance.

So someone went to the trouble of trying to convert a vacuum secondary Holley to a double pumper. Must be a lot of work to get the secondary squirter operational. I probably would have ruined a perfectly good carb if I had tried it.
af2

71864.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep_406 wrote:
Sorry for showing up so late to the dance.

So someone went to the trouble of trying to convert a vacuum secondary Holley to a double pumper. Must be a lot of work to get the secondary squirter operational. I probably would have ruined a perfectly good carb if I had tried it.

Me to that is why I pointed out the obvious. That carb is like a hooker on nickel night.

Way to many hands on it.

The idle ports still need to be dealt with!! Drilling the air bleads will make you throw the metering block in the trash.
Like I said to many hands on the crap!! to start with!I meant to add this Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: