Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Fixing Someone's Rebuild Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
73yota

282.84 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Fixing Someone's Rebuild Failure Reply with quote

So the engine I'm rebuilding is a Toyota 18r. The guy never ran it due to the fact that when he was nearing completion of the rebuild the engine would not turn over. It was binding up on the crank-piston journals (the rod caps were on backwards). So I tore it down and found a piston in backwards as well.

Question: Can I just pull the crank out and rotate the piston 180 degrees to the right position or do I have to pull it out and do it?
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that actually sounds like MORE work Laughing

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely mic the rods to see if they are still round. And I would pull the engine apart to double check EVERYTHING.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the piston is backwards on the rod as I think you are describing, then you would have to look if the piston has valve reliefs. If it does, then I would say that you definately can't just spin the rod / piston assembly. I agree with af2, I would check everything at this point. When something as major as an engine locked up with a rod cap on backwards and the guy putting it together obviously didn't know why, leave nothing to chance - check everything. Clay
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rod caps on backwards=start over and re-size rods
pin offset an issue on this motor??? id guess no
but it is foreign

282.84 points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the engine is totally apart now. I don't trust a single thing this guy did.

af2: I will double check to make sure the rods are still round thank you for the good tip. I haven't done that yet

Clay: the pistons are completely flat, the reason I know the piston is in backwards because an arrow is stamped on top of it and they are all supposed to point forward, one is pointing backwards.

squeeezer: I'm not too keen on terminology, what is pin offset? The way I know the rod caps are on backwards is that each side of the cap has a different amount of markings on it. One of the combination is supposed forward.
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73yota wrote:

Clay: the pistons are completely flat, the reason I know the piston is in backwards because an arrow is stamped on top of it and they are all supposed to point forward, one is pointing backwards.

make sure the chamfer on the rod (big end) is correct. if you just spin the rod/piston assy around, the chamfer may be on the wrong side. you may need to separate rod/piston and correctly assemble the two.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin offset refers to the wrist pin not actually being in the middle of the piston. I think it is offset to reduce side loading and piston noise in factory setup. I don't think any of the higher end racing pistons are offset. That may be why the mark is there to denote which way to install the piston if there are no valve reliefs. Clay
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Pin offset refers to the wrist pin not actually being in the middle of the piston. I think it is offset to reduce side loading and piston noise in factory setup. I don't think any of the higher end racing pistons are offset. That may be why the mark is there to denote which way to install the piston if there are no valve reliefs. Clay

This is what Nissan says at their factory sponsored tech school... One of the tidbits I retained from 10 years ago....

I know this isnt a Nissan but theres a good chance its the same deal.

Glad to hear you tore it down and are redoing the whole engine- who wants to redo 96% and have the remaining 4% thwart their efforts?! Been there, done that! Not worth it! Very Happy

If its a press fit pin, the local shops here charge less than 10 bucks to R&R so I wouldnt even bother sorting out if I could run it backwards etc I would just have it pressed and move on. Just my 2 cents.

af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73yota wrote:
Yes, the engine is totally apart now. I don't trust a single thing this guy did.

af2: I will double check to make sure the rods are still round thank you for the good tip. I haven't done that yet

squeeezer: I'm not too keen on terminology, what is pin offset? The way I know the rod caps are on backwards is that each side of the cap has a different amount of markings on it. One of the combination is supposed forward.

Nice!!!! Very Happy
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
73yota wrote:

Nice!!!! Very Happy

adam i think he just needs the longest rods avail. so he too can turn 10k Laughing Laughing Laughing

282.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, Im sorry but I couldnt figure out how to insert the pictures the img button and alt+p werent really working for me lol. If someone could do a repost and fix that I would greatly appreciate it.

ok so correct me if im wrong, because the book doesnt say anything about this, but the picture shows it.

http://co106w.col106.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=a0aa375a-217f-11df-a74d-002264c17d5e&Aux=4%7C0%7C8CC83A3895EDA00%7C%7C

This is a picture from my repair manual that shows how to assemble a piston. It points out the markings for the rod and the piston that are supposed to line up and face forward, but not for the cap. However, in this picture the side of the cap facing forward has three oval/lump random shapes. Or whatever you want to call them.

VVVVVV Here is my cap that has those same markings VVVVVV

http://co106w.col106.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=17f229eb-2180-11df-b775-00215ad965d0&Aux=4%7C0%7C8CC83A436F3F470%7C%7C

VVVVVV And finally the other side that only has one mark VVVVVV

http://co106w.col106.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=fab57260-217f-11df-bf33-00237de46188&Aux=4%7C0%7C8CC83A3E6A04B90%7C%7C

The problem that Im having is that the guy that installed the rod caps put them in opposite of what the top repair manual picture shows.

(( ONLY THE ONE OVAL/LUMP MARKING FORWARD, AND THE THREE THE PICTURE SHOWS BACKWARDS ))

Was he just stupid putting these back in or were they in fact that way when he pulled them off to begin with and the book is wrong?

Im siding with the book on this one, even though none of the 4 manuals I have address this issue.
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you see the bearing tangs? They need to both( upper and lower) be on the same side of the rod.

I hope he didn't mismatch the caps.

You need to check that.
73yota

282.84 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so the tangs, the little notches the bearing fit into need to be on the same side. Is that ALWAYS the case?

How would I check to see if they are mix matched? Just try each cap on each rod one at a time while checking to see if they will bind up?
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"tangs" always same side. to check if the rod is round, you really need a dial bore gauge. this one is a cheap one but would accomplish what youre trying to do....... http://www.rjtool.com/p-1266-dial-bore-gauge-range-2-to-6-graduation-00005.aspx. or you could just take all the rods to a local machine shop and have them checked. however, i dont know how much patience they would have with figuring out which caps go where if they are mixed up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: