Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Turbo Poncho

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schoust

429.48 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Turbo Poncho Reply with quote

Hi Guy's new to the Forum and was hoping I pick some brains and learn some! I have a Pontiac 462 that I want to set up to run a turbo. I know I( will have to drop compression a bit to run this on the street ideally what I was hoping to do is run mild boost for pump gas an turn it up at the Track. The turbo I am thinking about using is a Holset Ht60 with a 74mm compressor (Not sure about the turbine size) the exhaust outlet is a 26cm Non gated deal. I know that this turbo is not exactly the best and newest tech. but its what I have and if it's not to laggy I intend to use it.
Any info would be greatly appreciated !!
Thanks
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the HT60 is a good turbo. the 26cm exhaust housing is a bit big but you could always spray a 50-75 shot of nitrous to spool it. is the exhaust housing divided or open ? do you Poncho guys have the same issues with weak blocks as we do with the Olds ?

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can only refer you to someone i know

and spool time is not an isue on his
http://www.twolaneracing.com/msg_threadshow.asp?thread_id=5009&forum_id=9&highest_seen=0#NEWMARK

its a matter of fact the turbo itself is the limiting factor on this motor

429.48 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the stock block on a Pontiac in N/A form is good until around 750 or so give or take a few Ponies. The weak link is the lifter valley and needs to be braced when high lift cam is used. That being said I have heard of guys running 850 hp to the rear wheels and living. As far as the exhaust housing goes what is the smallest one made? I think spool shouldn't be an issue,but then again I have never run one? I do know that I love turbos and intend to run this on the street but I need to find out if it will spool normally enough? My car is a stick so I my try it?? Need more info first....
Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of drag race turbo cars running 5000 to 7000 RPM converters to get the car into boost on the line. Another trick is to open the exhaust valve with the piston still going down the cylinder at the mid way point to dump as much burning gas into the impeller as is possible. This is done to get the turbo to spool up faster for drag racing. On the street seconds do not count so you will not need either of these techniques and the turbo should spool up normally (defining normal as the BMW or Nissan next to you at the light).

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem can be the stick setup. An engine needs a load to burn more fuel and build exhaust heat and velocity which translates into more turbine rpm. I've heard it done at the track with a stick, I just think it's more difficult. I think the tuners pull timing and add fuel to build exhaust heat to help things along. If you have ever done a cam break in, it becomes obvious if you have the timing to low as the headers will glow red pretty quickly. Since you say you are just going to run it on the street, this may not really apply. I think there will always be some delay on a turbo setup, my first experience was a turbo diesel Duramax truck. It makes good power, but it takes a different way of driving compared to a gasoline engine. Clay
schoust

429.48 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I would like to drive this car at both the street and the strip! What I am wondering is just how much of a laggy turbo this will be? I am used to the Diesel thing to I have a Cummins 12 valve that is making very good power and I have been playing with this for some time and have noticed there are some sacrifices without a doubt but the rewards are great when you feel that boost hit! So has anyone had any experience with this particular turbo? Should I be looking for a smaller exhaust housing say 22cm??
Thanks Guy's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: