Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Coil Springs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1970z28camaro

720.10 points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Coil Springs Reply with quote

Can someone tell me how I can change my current coils springs for my 1970 with the new pair that I just bought? Is it as simple as using 2 4-ton jacks and a friend? Please let me know.
Very Happy
af2

71896.24 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Springs Reply with quote

1970z28camaro wrote:
Can someone tell me how I can change my current coils springs for my 1970 with the new pair that I just bought? Is it as simple as using 2 4-ton jacks and a friend? Please let me know.
Very Happy

Jack it up then put a stand under the the right or left side you are changing. With tire off, jack the lower Arm to relieve spring preasure and take the lower ball joint nut off then separate the ball joint from the spindle. I use a big hammer to hit the spindle so I don't ruin the boot on the ball joint. Lower the jack pull the spring and install the new one. DON'T BE IN FRONT OF THE SPRING AT ANY TIME WHEN REPLACING!!!!!!!!!!!!
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Springs Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
take the lower ball joint nut off then separate the ball joint from the spindle. I use a big hammer to hit the spindle DON'T BE IN FRONT OF THE SPRING AT ANY TIME WHEN REPLACING!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont take the nut completely off until AFTER you break the ball joint free with the hammer. you will end up with a lot of fast moving parts if you do.

coil spring compressors arent exactly a big help either.....

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i144/10sec_et/ouch.jpg

af2

71896.24 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Springs Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
af2 wrote:
take the lower ball joint nut off then separate the ball joint from the spindle. I use a big hammer to hit the spindle DON'T BE IN FRONT OF THE SPRING AT ANY TIME WHEN REPLACING!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont take the nut completely off until AFTER you break the ball joint free with the hammer. you will end up with a lot of fast moving parts if you do.

coil spring compressors arent exactly a big help either.....

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i144/10sec_et/ouch.jpg

Geese 10, you didn't quote me saying have a jack under the A arm when doing that!
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Springs Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Geese 10, you didn't quote me saying have a jack under the A arm when doing that!

reason i didnt was because i launched a jack out from under the car that way Embarassed . not trying to make you look bad. im just one of those people that if its going to happen, its going to happen to me. just be safe.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If for some reason the springs are too long to get out - probably not the case - or back in as can be the case with Moroso trick springs - by swinging the control arm down there is another safety method if you have to take the control arm completely loose. I ran a piece of threaded rod though where the shock was with large washers and nuts. Jack it a little bit, then run the nuts up tight by hand then jack some more and repeat. It's not an absolute solid lock, but it won't let things move very far at all. The first time is kinda scary, but once you learn where to be and see what everything does, it isn't that bad - just be safe and don't hurry. Clay
af2

71896.24 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Springs Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
af2 wrote:

reason i didnt was because i launched a jack out from under the car that way Embarassed . not trying to make you look bad. im just one of those people that if its going to happen, its going to happen to me. just be safe.

Totally agree!!!!!!!!
Be safe period!!!!!!!!!!!
Big Dave

120538.84 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a car transport trailer use that as your work place. Chain the sub frame to the trailer and use a bottle jack under the lower A-frame. I agree with 10; leave the castle nut on the ball joint and smack the nut to loosen everything up. It will pop to the end of the ball joint stud and stop at the nut (only if it has enough threads to hold it, so do not take the nut all the way off). Then you can pressurize the bottle jack and remove the ball joint nut by hand and carefully lower the A-frame down enough to get the spring out. With the car chained to the trailer frame it will not go anywhere (I have seen jacks lift the front end off the ground with out compressing the spring enough to safely get it out).

Don't have a trailer: Plan B

Use an engine hoist to replace the bottle jack. Once again chain the sub frame to the lower leg of the engine hoist. Fit a stout 1/2" chain onto the clevis of the engine stand and attach the two ends of the chain to each side of the lower A-frame. Repeat the process of loosening and banging the nut. Now you can pick up or lower the A-frame as needed using the engine hoist. With the car chained to the hoist it is not going any where. You have to carefull of the length of your sling as the hoist can not contact the fender of the car.

I prefer the trailer method because it gets me off the ground and puts the spindle about chest height for me so it is easy to work with. With me sitting on the ground car on the trailer I do not have to be hunched over all the time, so it is easier on the back. I have rebuilt many front ends this way on Nova's Chevelles and numerous Camaro's (even my Dad's 1958 Biscayne) and it worked out great. If you see yourself doing a lot of front end rebuilds it is worth buying a trailer just for this reason alone.

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: