Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Shifters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xhiron

120.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Shifters Reply with quote

I have an idea. I want to create a clutch pedal kinda deal on my shifter. Kinda like what bikes have, but the whole assembly must be able to shift and open the clutch. I know hands are no where near strong enough to open a clutch assembly, but what about an electronic actuator or hydraulic setup? I'd rather make my own stuff, even if there are kits out there that already do this. So, ideas are always welcomed, especially if they make me think of something I wouldn't have before.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could use a hydraulic slave cylinder, nitrous power shot solenoid and a nitrous bottle for power. Or CO2 would work also. You would have to put a shuttle valve in between the cylinder and soleniond to dump pressure when you deactivated the soleniod, but this should work. Clay
techinspector1

100.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, is there some way to slow down the clutch engagement action? If not, it's gonna be like side-stepping the clutch with every gear change. Richard.

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Didn't think about that. There could be a flow restrictor in the exhaust port of the shuttle valve to slow down engagement. The only problem is that you would be restricted to one type of engagement without readjusting. I guess you could locate the exhaust inside the car so the driver could reach it, might be a pain, I don't know, just have to try it. Have to think about this some more. Clay
Xhiron

120.00 points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a valve kinda deal? Like, if it was attached to a handle/lever kinda thing via a cable. Have the lever be pulled by the shifting hand and open the valve while activating the solenoid at a certain point when the valve is closed. Tgen when you reverse the action, the solenoid closes as soon as you start moving yer hand, while slowly letting excess gas out of the line, but at a controlled rate via your hands rate of closing. This is the only way I can think of wording it, sorry for the lack of decent communication.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying, I just don't know of a valve right now to be manually controled by a cable. I'll look around and see if I can find anything to work that is reasonable. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: