Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

8 point cage
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeeezer wrote:
i suppose i could always tack it up and get a pro welder to weld it right

if you tack it together with a MIG, it will need to be MIG welded after that. if your "Pro" TIG welds over those MIG tacks there will be porosity in the weld and he wont be happy about it.

you could always upgrade your machine. sell the one you have and use that towards a bigger one.

beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
squeeezer wrote:

my question is is my equipment up for the task
first and foremost

on this trans am its all about function over form Twisted Evil

If you are welding with the 130? NO way. If you are welding with the 175 yes!

I agree. I have a Hobart Handler 140 (115V) at home and like it. Of course it has it's uses and sometimes I wished I had a much larger unit. On the other hand, a good friend is a professional welder and his welds are always better than mine. Embarassed The small 115V machines are handy to tack things together and small jobs but I wouldn't try welding up a cage other than tacking it in and having the job completed by a pro.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to repeat a lot of what the others have said. Take your time on the best fitting joints you can possibly get - MIG or TIG. Granted, MIG is more friendly for filling gaps, but it is far better to avoid them all together. The 110 volt MIG's have their place, exhaust, small brackets, etc. - a roll cage isn't really one of them. Cleanliness is another problem. Where you attach the reinforcing plates to the floor pan, cleaning is a pain. The factory must have various and assorted goo's in a 55 gallon drum to seal seams and they aren't scared to use it. Avoid breathing fumes from this stuff burning as it can give you a cough for a day or two. This is tough because you can't have a fan really blowing on you since this will blow away the shielding gas from MIG and TIG but you can use a fan if you heat, scrape and wire brush the area first. The thing I hate about welding anything round is the position change. You have to be able to go from flat to vertical to overhead in 2" and this it tough for me to do without some practice first. Practice first and follow the excellent advice of the others here and it should turn out fine. Clay
nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
I
I witnessed a 70 Nova that crashed on the big end doing 100 mph and died from the 14 gauge exhaust pipe roll cage coming apart and stabbing HER multiple times! She would have been been better of not having one at all

Well now you gone and done it!!! Now I'm gonna have to go throw away my 1 3/4" 14 ga exhaust tubing roll cage Shocked Very Happy

Seriously I have a 1 3/4" .095 chromoly cage. The part of this subject that I'm interested in has to do with the welding process end of things. I TIG welded my cage.. only for the reason to make it NHRA legal. Before I started to build my cage I looked into the best welding processes for chromoly. I was looking at a lot of IMCA testing info that stated... MIG welding w/ er80s2 offered a more plyable weld that isn't as brittle as TIG welding. IMCA put alot of stock in these tests and changed their rules to allow MIG welding on Chomoly.
af2

71864.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwcc wrote:
af2 wrote:
I
I witnessed a 70 Nova that crashed on the big end doing 100 mph and died from the 14 gauge exhaust pipe roll cage coming apart and stabbing HER multiple times! She would have been been better of not having one at all

Well now you gone and done it!!! Now I'm gonna have to go throw away my 1 3/4" 14 ga exhaust tubing roll cage Shocked Very Happy

Seriously I have a 1 3/4" .095 chromoly cage. The part of this subject that I'm interested in has to do with the welding process end of things. I TIG welded my cage.. only for the reason to make it NHRA legal. Before I started to build my cage I looked into the best welding processes for chromoly. I was looking at a lot of IMCA testing info that stated... MIG welding w/ er80s2 offered a more plyable weld that isn't as brittle as TIG welding. IMCA put a lot of stock in these tests and changed their rules to allow MIG welding on Chomoly.

The thing Tig hates is the rapid cooling! It will make any metal brittle period! ( Mig comes to mind at this point) Quick heat and quick cooling because it didn't have time to properly heat the work!)

There is no more said with welding. The cool down is the most important part of the procedure!

Cool it down too fast you have a brittle part. Cool to slow you have a malleable part! That is the best I can explain.

Cooling it down also means welding below 70 degrees or higher in an closed shop!

Close the doors and have a good part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: