Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

differential bearing billet steel replacement cap
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwcc wrote:
10sec.et:

What 3rd member casting are you using? Do you plan on running the ARP stud kit in it?

i think the casting is...DOOB or DOOW i will have to look when i get home. as far as studs go, the cap came with allen head bolts so i may go to a local fastener supply store and get the equilivent for the other side. although, ARP studs might be a better idea Idea

nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
nwcc wrote:
10sec.et:

What 3rd member casting are you using? Do you plan on running the ARP stud kit in it?

i think the casting is...DOOB or DOOW i will have to look when i get home. as far as studs go, the cap came with allen head bolts so i may go to a local fastener supply store and get the equilivent for the other side. although, ARP studs might be a better idea Idea

ARP stud kit is about 21.00 and its the 4 studs, nuts and washers.

Your 3rd is a DOOW-B N-case. When I was researching for my 9", I read some places that the N-case was better by far. Other sites said the C7AW-E single rib case was just as good as the earlier N-case. Everything was so conflicting and I wanted to save alittle weight, thats why I went with the Moser unit.

If I read all this right, your only replacing one bearing cap. Is that right? What happened to the cap?
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youre right, its a DOOW-B. as far as the cap goes, its the only weak link left. there was nothing wrong with the other one i just wanted to be sure i didnt break it. i only used one because thats all that you really need. the left cap takes significantly more force than the right.

that Moser unit is pretty solid. i dont think you can break it. i wanted one but for a little over $200 for the nodular case, i couldnt pass it up.

af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
youre right, its a DOOW-B. as far as the cap goes, its the only weak link left. there was nothing wrong with the other one i just wanted to be sure i didnt break it. i only used one because thats all that you really need. the left cap takes significantly more force than the right.

that Moser unit is pretty solid. i dont think you can break it. i wanted one but for a little over $200 for the nodular case, i couldnt pass it up.

I replaced the cap on my Dana 60 also! With the tubes gone it was easy. Also it was line bored!
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, its done. i finally made it over to the machine shop to get the cap milled. we did it on a Bridgeport using some shim stock under the flat surfaces around the bolt holes and put it in the mill vise. we assumed we would have to hone the case after milling but when we cut it to the exact size and measured, it was better than the factory cap so we left well-enough alone.

af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out well!
Gotta catch a break once in a while. Laughing Very Happy
phydeaux

3114.12 points

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Bearing cap Reply with quote

Haha....I'm gonna make you put a big gaudy Littlecrest sticker on your car. My wife still has those horrible hubcaps on her Vic by the way! She won't let me take 'em off.
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing cap Reply with quote

phydeaux wrote:
Haha....I'm gonna make you put a big gaudy Littlecrest sticker on your car. My wife still has those horrible hubcaps on her Vic by the way! She won't let me take 'em off.

near perfect machine work for the cost of lunch... ill take TWO!!! Wink good job thumbsup

now i see why you bought that Pontiac. i wouldnt ride in that Crown Vic either Shocked Embarassed

nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking work!!!

Last week I purchased a Strange S-case off Ebay. The auction said it was new and stated that it had steel main caps. Being the retard that I am. It didn't dawn on me until it arrived, that the S-case comes with nodular caps and its the Pro case that's got the steel caps(actually Chrome-moly). Being the nice guy I am , I emailed the company I bought it from. I was just pointing out that this commonly used auction format had misinformation. I wasn't after anything. I just wanted to point out that a correction was needed.

This company was so cool about everything. He offered me a Pro case to honor the auction!! Its nice to find someone on Ebay that honors their mistakes.

Since this case is going into that garage sale housing w/ 31 spline 1541 alloy axle's. I don't think a Pro case is necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: