Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Converting from posi to spool?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandSportC3 wrote:
af2 wrote:
GrandSportC3 wrote:
[

Well, I'll get AT LEAST 2 hundred off my ET. 20 lbs less weight is about 2 hundreds.. but I believe that it'll give me at least 5 hundreds...

I am not trying to create a dissension and I am trying to educate! With that said what is the best bang for the buck?

Nitrous for sure is the best value but the advantage of going faster by saving weight is that less stuff breaks... I rather go fast by reducing weight and making my setup more effective rather than increasing power. I want my parts to last as long as they possibly can and still kick ass at the track. I went from 10.97 to 10.35 without doing anything to the engine!! I know that in cold weather and a few more changes on the setup (like Lexan windows, tubular crossmembers, spool etc.) and colder weather (like 45 degrees) and good traction, I could get into very low 10's on engine...
The lighter the car, the faster it goes and it's also less stress on all parts!

I've said it before.. My engine is a stock 400 4-bolt block and I want to keep nitrous use to a minimum and still go fast. (because I don't want to blow up the bottom of my engine). I know that I can take off another 100 lbs off the car and that the car is capable of 9's on engine..
My tranny is also not built for much more than a 100 shot with my current setup.. Therefore, I have to go fast other than by adding power..
Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side and back windows are a great way to shed weight with Lexan™ plastic; just don't replace the wind screen as you have a convertible and the A pillar will fold like a house of cards in a roll over without that mass of glass and adhesive to hold it up right in compression. I heard a rumor that you only have a six point with a nine second car so keep the safety glass for safety reasons until you get a full ten or fourteen point cage.

This from a guy who doesn't own even a skid lid. I know what I should do, just don't do as I do. You're young yet, try and get older.

Big Dave
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, are you talking Lincoln Locker! Laughing Laughing
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Side and back windows are a great way to shed weight with Lexan™ plastic; just don't replace the wind screen as you have a convertible and the A pillar will fold like a house of cards in a roll over without that mass of glass and adhesive to hold it up right in compression. I heard a rumor that you only have a six point with a nine second car so keep the safety glass for safety reasons until you get a full ten or fourteen point cage.

This from a guy who doesn't own even a skid lid. I know what I should do, just don't do as I do. You're young yet, try and get older.

Big Dave
I'm not planning on running consistent 9's.. Just an occasional 9 second pass.. Once the new setup is going in, I will upgrade my cage.. If I'd go with Lexan, I'd replace all the glass.. I want to see if I can make it into 9's on engine.. That would be so cool..
Paul P

83052.36 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow a lot was said since last night. I would do it for piece of mind. The spool is much stronger than the Limited Slip Differential. You could grenade the LSD with the power you are planning in the future. It is the "weakest link". You should have the whole drive train ready for the next bullet in the engine bay. I built my Chevelle with the same approach and it has not let me down. thumbsup
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
Wow a lot was said since last night. I would do it for piece of mind. The spool is much stronger than the Limited Slip Differential. You could grenade the LSD with the power you are planning in the future. It is the "weakest link". You should have the whole drive train ready for the next bullet in the engine bay. I built my Chevelle with the same approach and it has not let me down. thumbsup

For my current setup, even with a 100 shot, the posi should easily hold up as my setup was designed for about 1000 HP..
Studebakerdude

416.74 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Guys,,I'm a newbie here and have been observing, so I thought it was time to join in ..
I'm building a 1950 Studebaker P/U truck, ..for the street..and occasinally drag..I'm running a SBC, with an underhood blower(177), and 700 R 4 ..I've set the motor back quite a bit, and am fabricating ladderbars...
can anyone suggest a rearend gear....I'm thinking 3:73 or 4:11, maybe even 4:56 and still be able to cruise on the highway....any input would be appreciated, thx...by the way,this is a great site.

#1 bw 2 (Medium).JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  #1 bw 2 (Medium).JPG
 Filesize:  34.73 KB
 Downloaded:  564 Time(s)

GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studebakerdude wrote:
hey Guys,,I'm a newbie here and have been observing, so I thought it was time to join in ..
I'm building a 1950 Studebaker P/U truck, ..for the street..and occasinally drag..I'm running a SBC, with an underhood blower(177), and 700 R 4 ..I've set the motor back quite a bit, and am fabricating ladderbars...
can anyone suggest a rearend gear....I'm thinking 3:73 or 4:11, maybe even 4:56 and still be able to cruise on the highway....any input would be appreciated, thx...by the way,this is a great site.

With the .70 overdrive of the 700R4 you could run 4.11's and be still streetable... Wouldn't go with 4.56's as the 700R4 has a huge first gear and with 4.56 gears, first gear is almost worthless as the tranny will shift in 2nd gear after a few yards Laughing
Studebakerdude

416.74 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Grand..thx for the respond..yeah, thats what I'm hearing alot of,,4:11....I'm just curious about ur setup,it seems to be working good by the looks of the video..
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studebakerdude wrote:
hey Grand..thx for the respond..yeah, thats what I'm hearing alot of,,4:11....I'm just curious about ur setup,it seems to be working good by the looks of the video..

I've tweaked my setup a lot...

Here are some of the basics:

approx. 2750 - 2800 lbs (down from 3200 lbs)

406 small block with fully ported Dart Pro 1 heads, 230 cc intake runners, 2.08/1.60 valves, solid roller cam, 264/270 degrees .050, .672 lift, 12.8 : 1 compression.
HP series 4150 series carb (80514), 1000 cfm
Approx. 650 HP output on engine (750+ HP with nitrous)
TH200R4 transmission with 4500 stall (buit by CPT Transmission up to 800 HP)
Moroso Trick front springs (250 lbs/inch) with Competition engineering adjustable 90/10 shocks
Independend rear suspension, Tom's 12-bolt IRS setup, 550 lbs/inch composite rear spring with adjustable QA1 shocks (set to 12 clicks)
Those are the basics of my setup..
Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.10 to 4.56 choice is also a function of weight and tire size. A 4.56:1 will shift out of first in about 0.75 seconds after launch, but if you have tires that are glued to the ground that greatly improves your 60 foot times, especially with a heavy vehicle (not familiar with your weight but mine is a svelte 4,300 pounds and I run a 4.56 with a 4L80 E). Another thing grandsport C3 may not be considering is you actually get five gears (speeds) with the 700R4 so you aren't loosing much by short shifting first (or maybe you would be, depends upon your set up). I say five speeds because the 700R4 and both 4L80E utilizes a locking converter which will give you an additional 14% increase in wheel speed when it locks going through the lights in fourth gear (does for me anyway as I have mine set to lock up only in fourth gear, which is OD)

Now if you suffer from excessive wheel slip then all bets are off, But my car has massive wheel wells which I stuff full with slicks, your mileage may vary as they say. The lock-up clutch is also dependant upon line pressure (it is a hydraulic cylinder inside the torque converter that engages and holds only by virtue of the line pressure (wet clutch) so higher pressure is better. I have modified my tranny to hold the highest pressure it will produce and replace front pumps and other parts as needed (such as bands, clutches and sprags; I don't build for long life but enjoy the carnage while I can, you may have a different philosophy).

Big Dave
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
4.10 to 4.56 choice is also a function of weight and tire size. A 4.56:1 will shift out of first in about 0.75 seconds after launch, but if you have tires that are glued to the ground that greatly improves your 60 foot times, especially with a heavy vehicle (not familiar with your weight but mine is a svelte 4,300 pounds and I run a 4.56 with a 4L80 E). Another thing grandsport C3 may not be considering is you actually get five gears (speeds) with the 700R4 so you aren't loosing much by short shifting first (or maybe you would be, depends upon your set up). I say five speeds because the 700R4 and both 4L80E utilizes a locking converter which will give you an additional 14% increase in wheel speed when it locks going through the lights in fourth gear (does for me anyway as I have mine set to lock up only in fourth gear, which is OD)

Now if you suffer from excessive wheel slip then all bets are off, But my car has massive wheel wells which I stuff full with slicks, your mileage may vary as they say. The lock-up clutch is also dependant upon line pressure (it is a hydraulic cylinder inside the torque converter that engages and holds only by virtue of the line pressure (wet clutch) so higher pressure is better. I have modified my tranny to hold the highest pressure it will produce and replace front pumps and other parts as needed (such as bands, clutches and sprags; I don't build for long life but enjoy the carnage while I can, you may have a different philosophy).

Big Dave

It's a pretty big jump from 3rd to 4th gear (from 1 to .7) and not really suited for racing.. I personally have a 4-speed overdrive tranny in my race Vette (TH200R4) and I never shift into overdrive during a pass...
Studebakerdude

416.74 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep,maybe 4:56 is too much ...I had 700R4 , 327/350HP, in a TR6, with the stock 3:73's...it hit 2nd gear at the other side of the intersection....a blast till the rearend broke....4L80 E is an alternative, I've considered, I like the programmable aspect of it...
Grandsport,,you never did say ur rear gear ratio, but I suspect it isn't 4:56's...thx guys.
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studebakerdude wrote:
yep,maybe 4:56 is too much ...I had 700R4 , 327/350HP, in a TR6, with the stock 3:73's...it hit 2nd gear at the other side of the intersection....a blast till the rearend broke....4L80 E is an alternative, I've considered, I like the programmable aspect of it...
Grandsport,,you never did say ur rear gear ratio, but I suspect it isn't 4:56's...thx guys.

I use 4.11's with 29.5 inch tall rear tires... Car is setup to trap at about 137 mph with nitrous at about 6800 RPM.. With the 28 inch tall tires, I trapped 126 mph @ 6800 RPM(naturally aspirated).
Studebakerdude

416.74 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey , thats one good working Vette...thx a ton...I just about bought a set of 4:56's wednesday this week and thought ,why not research it a little bit more...it sure pays to ask questions and others opinions,thx ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: